Overwhelming dead rat smell at work

Options
2»

Comments

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many years ago something died under my grandmother's floorboards and the smell was horrific. We couldn't get to the source so we called a local pest controller who sprayed some kind of aerosol under the boards. I have no idea what it was but it certainly got rid of the smell. It might be worth giving a local company a call?
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    If one isn't going to poison the rodents, what exactly do you suggest gets rid of them?

Get a cat.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Get a cat.
    Yep, my dogs will like that option. For the 2.5 seconds that the cat lasts! But seriously, keeping a cat in therapy clinic? Not exactly practical, is it?
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep, my dogs will like that option. For the 2.5 seconds that the cat lasts! But seriously, keeping a cat in therapy clinic? Not exactly practical, is it?

My response was directed at your comment, not a clinical site.
  • sangie595
    Options
    My response was directed at your comment, not a clinical site.
    And my comment was directed at your suggestion that anyone with half a brain would have gone to the exterminator - you commented that the extermination of the rats on a clinical site was poorly planned. I can't see how it was since you have so far not come up with a single better alternative than poisoning them.
  • ohreally
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't see how it was since you have so far not come up with a single better alternative than poisoning them.

Post #10 provides alternatives, get professionals in and carcass recovery is their issue.
    In the case of a clinical setting I suspect they would consider alternatives like acoustic repellents.

If my dog was unable to control a domestic rat it would be redundant by now.
  • sangie595
    Options
    Post #10 provides alternatives, get professionals in and carcass recovery is their issue.
    In the case of a clinical setting I suspect they would consider alternatives like acoustic repellents.

If my dog was unable to control a domestic rat it would be redundant by now.
    I think you are missing the point. The "professionals" told me to put down rat poison. And recovering a rat carcass from behind a wall involves knocking down a wall! Yes, they could try acoustic repellents - but they have varied outcomes and are not very effective in many circumstances. That's what the professionals told me. Maybe they don't know what they are talking about? As for the dogs, (a) they are not ratters, and breed matters, and (b) smart as my dogs are, they haven't yet figured out a way to get into the walls.

The simple fact is that once there is an infestation, the use of poison is the fastest and most effective form of eradication, and unfortunately that does leave a possibility of a temporary smell, maloderous though it is, and there are products designed to combat this, as I pointed out.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its not pleasant for you but if its that bad the clinic surely faces losing business too?
    How are the rats getting in? That needs to be investigated or more will show up. I have no idea but hopefully rats being quite small will decompose quickly and the smell will go?! Put vapour rub under your nose....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure