🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Overwhelming dead rat smell at work

Options
I work in a small therapy clinic, just me and two bosses. We have a reception room and then two therapy rooms on the lower ground floor level. A few weeks ago we heard rats in the walls so my boss put poison down, now we have a lingering smell of dead rat that is becoming stronger and stronger.

The worst of the smell is in the reception room, where I work for 8 hours a day (and eat lunch!) I am 27 weeks pregnant and today the smell is so bad its making me feel ill.

Should I be demanding they do more about this issue? Is there anything that can actually be done? No flies thankfully, just that strong old dead rat smell to contend with :(

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    It is possible to buy some deoderising bags from Rentokil. They are very cheap. They do have a strong smell of their own, but it's preferable! I had the same problem a few weeks ago, and short of putting up with it or knocking down the wall of my house, this was the only option. Fortunately, the smell will diminish in a few weeks.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    Aww man i hate that rat smell, I used to have to deal with it during the summer heat when i used to work at a warehouse back in the day. Ill never forget that smell.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What did the individual who poisoned the rats think they would do, feel a bit unwell and take themselves of to rat hospital or the rat undertaker would roll up?

Very poorly planned idea.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure I believe this story.

In fact

I smell a rat.

(so sorry)
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    never mind poison you need big traps to kill em dead on the spot otherwise they will crawl away and die in some obscure place and the smell will linger for ages
  • sangie595
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    What did the individual who poisoned the rats think they would do, feel a bit unwell and take themselves of to rat hospital or the rat undertaker would roll up?

Very poorly planned idea.
    Ok. What would have been your plan? Pan pipes?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »

That would certainly drive me away so I don't see why it wouldn't work on rats.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »

Consult a pest controller or local authority environmental health, as I suspect anyone with half a brain would've done.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • sangie595
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Consult a pest controller or local authority environmental health, as I suspect anyone with half a brain would've done.
    Yep. And having a full brain that is exactly what I did several weeks ago. Guess what? They sold me poison! So again.... If one isn't going to poison the rodents, what exactly do you suggest gets rid of them? I tried reasoning with them. I tried peppermint oil. I tried a cat. Etc. Etc. Guess what? The rest of the alternatives are bunkum. Poison. That's the trick. You want no more rodents... You need to kill them. I was told that there been an explosion of treats and mice this summer - something about the weather made it ideal for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport