Etiquette for "talking online"?

Options
I'm interested in people's opinions on the following. Bear in mind I am an old techie (60 yrs), and although I know one end of a computer from the other (especially compared to my younger peers, it seems), I'm not well up on social etiquette with virtual communications.

So, I have a friend who sends me emails like "What do you think of this?" or "CHECK THIS VIDEO OUT!!!!"

The fact her emails (especially the latter sort) usually get filtered out as spam, if I send a response, I get another immediate response, with another single sentence (if I'm lucky; usually just a phrase or another question). It quickly becomes apparent she wants to have a "conversation" via email.

Am I wrong in thinking this isn't what email is typically intended for? To me, emails are electronic letters (oh yes, e-MAIL, duh). I don't want my email Inbox cluttered with dozens of emails that form part of an email conversation string.

Ironically, she sent me a text message last week, and I commenced having a conversation via text message (which I hate; fat finger syndrome). After a while she exclaimed (via text), "OMG!!!" "too many texts!!!" I thought that was how texts were often used - for a conversation. Again, am I wrong?

My thinking is that email is for letters and memo-type communications (albeit they often are informal/personal, not just for business use), whereas conversations exist via text message, Whatsapp, Messenger, etc.

Am I completely out of touch?
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    There is no standard about which medium to use for which kind of communication. Whatever suits the parties involved is fine, there is no requirement to be rigid about forms..

I use facebook messenger for text "conversations" and rarely use SMS for anything. My evening class were using email for conversations with occasional SMS for urgent things (e.g. lessons cancelled on the day) but we've now moved to whatsup for almost everything except homework.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh I hate those emails and messages, the sender is soon put on block. I don't click on links full stop

I have FB messenger to chat on. Can't remember the last time I sent an email or text

There is of course the good old phone for long meaningful chats

For me messenging, texting, is for quick questions or notices. Like I'll text, what time are we meeting, but I won't give a life history. Real conversations are for face to face or the phone. The rest is just stuff it's not worth taking the time to meet or call about
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    but we've now moved to whatsup for almost everything
    The first time I heard somebody say whatsapp I asked if they meant whatsup. That was a while ago and its become ubiquitous.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WRONG
    Text Whatsapp etc not everybody uses them or wants them .
    Email has a delete button .
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course if one uses only email, the phone and SMS text messaging then the choice of a specific interpersonal communication mechanism is pleasing limited!

Personally I hate people who want to exchange a series of text messages when it would be so much simpler to use the phone once!
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    WRONG
    Text Whatsapp etc not everybody uses them or wants them .
    Email has a delete button .

What's wrong? The vast majority do use and want them though. So they aren't going anywhere soon.

OP.
    As has been said, there is no special form. Brevity is usually the way of text messages born from the limitations of the early days.
    Having conversations using them is a bit unwieldy IMO, but, it's your choice when to engage or not.
    Emails, some write conversationally and others like a formal letter. Everything is so quick now that some do use them to have a discussion, but, it's not the best use of email.
    Just use as you want and don't worry about etiquette, it's long gone in communications.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just be happy they are using grammatical sentences, paragraphs & punctuation
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    What's wrong? The vast majority do use and want them though. So they aren't going anywhere soon.
    Yeh, I use them. You can't expect privacy if it is run by facebook. Even though there is 'end to end encryption', and they do not log, but still they manage to collect 'meta data'.

Use signal or telegram instead
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    Of course if one uses only email, the phone and SMS text messaging then the choice of a specific interpersonal communication mechanism is pleasing limited!

Personally I hate people who want to exchange a series of text messages when it would be so much simpler to use the phone once!

Wow, "hate" is such a strong word; ironically in the example I provided, the complainant is the person who always instigates the series of text messages (usually late at night, when the last thing I want is a conversation). I haven't even mastered the double-thumb texting strategy so texting is almost literally a pain.
    RumRat wrote: »

OP.
    As has been said, there is no special form. Brevity is usually the way of text messages born from the limitations of the early days.
    Having conversations using them is a bit unwieldy IMO, but, it's your choice when to engage or not.
    Emails, some write conversationally and others like a formal letter. Everything is so quick now that some do use them to have a discussion, but, it's not the best use of email.
    Just use as you want and don't worry about etiquette, it's long gone in communications.

Although I'm a former teacher of English, I'm not bothered by the use of email for informal messages so much as for single-sentence or single-phrase rapid-fire "conversations".

Although when my 66-year-old friend writes things like "Waddya fink?", it makes me cringe just a little.
    Farway wrote: »
    Just be happy they are using grammatical sentences, paragraphs & punctuation

Ha! I wish!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    re: using a 1-minute phonecall over a string of text/fb/whapp messages...

the 1-min call would be my preferred choice every time, but you just try getting younger people to do that!! I honestly think a lot of them have lost the ability to hold a proper conversation of any duration, and that's not good :(

rant over..... :D
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure