Redundancy confusion!

Options
Hi there everyone. My company that I worked at got offered to merge with another company. We was told by our boss our redundancy entitlement and holidays will transfer over with ‘TUPE’ we received a letter of my employer a week before the move saying that we’re merging with Someone else and that our terms and conditions and entitlements will be carried over. Also we received p45 as we would be working for another company.

Anyway we moved over and two weeks later my boss decides he hasn’t made the right choice and goes back to his old premises and carries on trading under the same name. And he says our jobs are no longer there due to lack of work. I still have a full time job at the new company but they are saying because the merge didn’t happen and nothing ever officially happened and got signed over it hasn’t all carried over. And that my old boss owes us redundancy etc

I’m a bit confused weather I’m entitled to redundancy of my old boss and left over holiday or not I worked there for 8 years and 10 months. It just feels like he’s dumped us there to get out of paying us all off.

Thanks Dan

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s all abit confusing. Typically the companies merge; of buy out; or what not. And they are legally seperate entities.

Your old boss can do as he wishes ofcourse; but the legal
    Entity must exist somewhere.
  • Scorpio33
    Options
    So the companies were going to merge, in which case, employment would have been transferred. If the merger went through, you should never received a P45 - the employment continues, you are not leaving.

So the merger didn't go through, and nothing has changed. You have no job with the new company and are still employed with the old company.

That means you are still employed as before any merger would have occurred. So they can't just "sack" you. They can make you redundant following proper procedure and paying you what you are entitled too though.

So pursue your old boss as you are still legally employed by him.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure