Earthgirl's Final Battle

Options

Comments

• lixi
    lixi Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh Earthy. I don't think I could cope with lodgers on a long term basis and would definitely worry and have motion sensors everywhere. We have a couple of spare rooms and I have thought about doing airbnb and such like but OH put his foot down and said no as he likes the idea of strangers in the house a lot less than I do. I let him get away with that one!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey. I have never had lodgers that I felt I needed to do that.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I am not worried about possessions at all, or where the lodger will go, its just purely that I don't want him entering the kids bedrooms. It's just something that I'm not prepared to risk. I know £18 is a lot of money but this is totally perfect. Err well its arriving tomorrow and I hope its perfect!

I've just done loads of work on OHs business this morning and in my lunch hour. And I've done a good work out so I'm back on track I hope!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    earthgirl wrote: »
    I am not worried about possessions at all, or where the lodger will go, its just purely that I don't want him entering the kids bedrooms. It's just something that I'm not prepared to risk. I know £18 is a lot of money but this is totally perfect. Err well its arriving tomorrow and I hope its perfect!

I've just done loads of work on OHs business this morning and in my lunch hour. And I've done a good work out so I'm back on track I hope!

Nope - it's really, really not - honestly! Please cut yourself some slack, earthie x (And even if it was really a lot of money, some things are priceless.... xx)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If £18 means that you are able to get some decent sleep,which means that you can function well - nay - efficiently, and enjoy life, then it is definitely £18 well spent!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think £18 is a totally reasonable amount to spend on peace of mind, not a lot of money at all. Gad you enjoyed your hols :)
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks lovely people!

Had a truly awful week. Major horrendous event with one of my cases at work. She is alive and in much less important news all of my work is exemplary as it will be examined, but still very upsetting and stressful. OH has more major problems with his business and is looking at best at 6 months of no income, at worst no income ever. Our financial plans and to some extent my hopes and dreams are totally derailed. Focus is on survival.

Realised that we are probably going to have to move due to changing catchment areas.

Ds2 has been ill and up in the night too, so I have been up all night and working all day in a really stressful environment.

My response has been frankly rubbish. I have ditched the diet and exercise, comfort eaten a load of chocolate! I seem to have no get up and go to do the things that might help because it all seems a bit futile. I have been wasting time being in a mood instead. I've even been taunting myself by looking at the travel plans I was making.

OH is living on a different planet! He is getting quotes for ridiculous luxury items that we don't need (all weather football pitch in the back garden for example!) where as I'm looking for jobs for him, or more jobs for me, to do.

Total nightmare! BUT all first world, totally solvable and, really everyone is alive and relatively well. Everything else is just a bonus.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • earthgirl
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So now I've got all that out of my system, I'm looking for the positives and the opportunities.

Opportunities
    Make sure all my work is up to scrutiny
    Work on relationship with OH. I've already talked to him about jobs and doing DIY whilst he isn't working. Need him to understand that I don't want to buy luxury things as it would stress me out.
    Look into buying another property in the catchment area and renting this one out - that kind of thing.
    Look into joining clubc etc more in that catchment area to make it easier with friendships
    Focus on travel within the UK for a year at least - and within Scotland as a big focus - as there is so much to see and the kids are too young for far flung travel anyway. I can still research if I want and pop interesting finds and ideas in My travel folder.

Back to basics
    Feel like I need to get back to basics with life!

Touch the sand everyday
    Eat high protein low carb
    Catch up with housework
    Work on ohs business (in case it comes back to life in six months)
    Work in the garden
    Do cheap and free things with the kids
    Talk to oh, don't be islands (or on different planets!)
    Be grateful for life and all that's in it...

Progress not Perfection
  • Needhelpsaving
    Needhelpsaving Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi EG,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've had a tough run of it, remember you are stronger than you think.

The determination you have shown with your MF journey is proof of this.

Sending dodgy hugs :grouphug:
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ooph! All sounds rather overwhelming, compounded by a bad night's sleep.

Get yourself rested, missus,and do NOT take on any more work. You are doing plenty and should not be filling in the shortfall from dh. He needs to pull his weight in both the mr/mrs relationship and the finances. Sorry to be talking out of turn - have some hugs and get some zzzzzzs.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback