£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 24 July 2017 at 1:45PM
    Options
    I know someone who had 4 kids in a 3 bed house.

She had a room of her own, and the kids were split 3 in another and 1 in the third room which was very small.

This was on a rotating basis, so each child got a room of their own for a fixed amount of time.

Of course the decor had to be neutral and stuff moved around, it worked okay. Was the best solution available for them.

Added: I should probably have said they were all boys.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you considered a garden room of some sort? I recall you saying that you have a good sized garden. A Room with a small shower ensuite in a corner is under consideration at lass-towers. There is an old pig shed in our garden that we currently use for storing garden equipment but....
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I know someone who had 4 kids in a 3 bed house.

She had a room of her own, and the kids were split 3 in another and 1 in the third room which was very small.

This was on a rotating basis, so each child got a room of their own for a fixed amount of time.

Of course the decor had to be neutral and stuff moved around, it worked okay. Was the best solution available for them.

Added: I should probably have said they were all boys.
    That sounds like hard work! But manageable if all the same gender. Oldest and youngest are different genders in our house, which gives us an extra consideration for the teenage years.
    Have you considered a garden room of some sort? I recall you saying that you have a good sized garden. A Room with a small shower ensuite in a corner is under consideration at lass-towers. There is an old pig shed in our garden that we currently use for storing garden equipment but....
    We have, but we just can't quite make the layout logistics work. Not completely closed to it if it seems to make sense at some stage though.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well I started the day with a truly insane 38 items on my list, and have managed to tick off 23 of them. I'm not sure whether to be pleased or irritated at that success rate! Tomorrow's list just as crazy.

Wasn't quite a NSD today as had to post some birthday cards, but only spent £2.20, not bad for the first day of the holidays. DC2 is having a day out with a friend tomorrow so only oldest and youngest to entertain, and they get on pretty well, so I'm hoping it won't be too challenging a day.

Unsatisfying finances today, I had to finally give in and transfer some money over from our savings pots. BUT we have made it to the 24th of the month before doing so, which is a good fortnight further into the month than we have ever made it before without tapping those savings pots, so I'm not 100% disappointed. I might need to borrow a little more, but I'm optimistic that we're going to leave a record amount (i.e. more than £0) in there this month.

Interestingly, this has been one of the worst months for my business this year, and I think that's really concentrated my mind on MSE matters. When I'm earning with my business, I can't quite get out of the 'oh, I'll borrow it from my business account' mindset, and end up spending more than I can take from my business account. I need to somehow break that association that my self employed income is some great fat bonus cheque waiting to be spent, and I think throwing it straight at debt so my business account balance never grows too high is the solution - having a big cushion was lovely, right up until the moment I spent it all (albeit on useful things like doing the front garden), so a smaller cushion and more off the debt is definitely the way forward.

to do today
    1. Email local young archeologists club for DC1. How have I done so much and still not done this? Argh.
    2. Laundry. Three loads done.
    3. Ironing. Done about half.
    4. Make dinner for tonight. Done. Kitchari, the cheapest meal in the world, and very good for aspiring yogis.
    5. check DS1's packing list for cub camp. Done, nothing needed apart from torch batteries.
    6. weed front garden. Not done, DC3 was in the paddling pool in the back garden so i couldn't be in the front.
    7. Make picnic to take to park. Done. Leftover homemade quiche from yesterday, houmous and veg sticks.
    8. talk to DH about extension. DH putting the DCs to bed right now, so soon to be done.
    9. Balance budgets. Done.
    10. Posting for work. Done.
    11. Check mobile bill - DH thinks he bought a data bundle which has now been added on as a monthly thing rather than a one off. Not done.
    12. Bag up charity shop stuff. Not done.
    13. Finish sorting the Lego, which is currently inhabiting the sitting room floor. More done, but it's still on the sitting room floor. Sigh.

to do this week
    1. charity shop run. Donations still cluttering up hallway.
    2. take snacks and picnics for days out with the children - no unplanned cafe trips!
    3. pack for camping.
    4. buy walking boots. DH managed to get some in the sale today for only £65 (down from £120), so only mine to go.
    5. make a decision on house extension and email architect.

Aims for July
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap. Well, a whopping £15 paid on top of the minimum payment so far, hoping to make another payment before end of month.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt. So far so good, but there is one more camping trip to cover in August.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I meant room division until you can afford the best of the dormer designs, the full 2 storey thing looks too ambitious altogether to me, sorry :o

If you could debt bash for say 3 years with a few income rises and a partition wall, then maybe the mortgage top up would be within reach.

With moving, I meant cheaper location to get bigger house - not ideal but sometimes needs must. Your options where you are seem so few and expensive relative to your situation.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Never heard of Kitchari so looked it up and saved a resipe to my newly made pinterest account. Cant believe I have not discovered pnterest before. Even if I only use it to save recipes I like the look of online.....it will be brilliant for me. :beer:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    I meant room division until you can afford the best of the dormer designs, the full 2 storey thing looks too ambitious altogether to me, sorry :o

If you could debt bash for say 3 years with a few income rises and a partition wall, then maybe the mortgage top up would be within reach.

With moving, I meant cheaper location to get bigger house - not ideal but sometimes needs must. Your options where you are seem so few and expensive relative to your situation.
    I think this is broadly speaking what we're going for, albeit on a shorter time frame. I'll post more on this later. :)

Moving is totally out of the question barring DH being made redundant and being unable to find work or similar financial emergency - we are settled into the community, schools etc. Some people have holidays as non-negotiable, we have our lovely house and town.
    Never heard of Kitchari so looked it up and saved a resipe to my newly made pinterest account. Cant believe I have not discovered pnterest before. Even if I only use it to save recipes I like the look of online.....it will be brilliant for me. :beer:
    Pinterest is one of my favourite things - so much inspiration for houses, homemade stuff etc, Tarka dal and rice is another go to meal for us.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Treadingonplaymobil Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2017 at 5:12AM
    Options
    Week 24: Day 3

Hurrah, DH and I had a good chat yesterday about extending. Didn't turn out to be too onerous as we had basically come to the same conclusion. Two options were immediately wiped off the table (doing the full two storey extension, and living with just the divided room for 10 years plus). We have come back to the plain old dormer idea, no modifications (architect had an excellent idea to gain a bit more space, but would add another £10k we think). We have worked out how our finances would need to look in order to make it happen in early 2019, and I will a couple of YNAB categories so we can save as necessary. If it isn't happening, it can easily be put back further until finances allow.

Broadly speaking, we are relying on continuing paying our current outgoings, saving most of DH's pay rise each month, which should start in August, back paid to June (£125pm will be saved), and as that amount builds up we will use it to pay for architect, then planning permission, then saving towards build. By 2019 we will, assuming there are no dramas, be able to add another £30k to our mortgage, and if necessary be able to restructure our debt and borrow any extra needed on an unsecured loan. We are expecting the cost to be £25-35k, largely dependent on whether we have space to put a bathroom in.

The biggest fly in the ointment is our (rarely discussed on here, as it just ticks along) mortgage. Our fixed term expires early next year, and if we sign up for another two years we will, I assume, have to pay an early redemption charge to remortgage and borrow more for the extension. Our options are to fix and delay things further or to sit on our SVR, which is about £60pm more than our current mortgage repayments. We can assess this in a few months though and make a decision, as it's the biggest factor that will decide timeframes. I will obviously check that my assumption about remortgaging is actuallt the case with our mortgage provider too!

I'm feeling pleased for having made a decision, and as it's also one that basically just requires us to walk a path for a while, if it turns out that the sums aren't adding up, we can easily re-consider things. So the first step remains the same - monthly saving for architect fees.

Hoping for a fairly low-stress day today, although still have a monster list to get through. DC2 is off for the day with a friend, and I have ambitions to walk into town for salt with the other two, then make playdough or maybe salt dough which we can bake - I figure DC1 can help make it, DC3 can play with it.

to do today
    1. Email local young archeologists club for DC1. Must actually do this.
    2. Laundry (for a change).
    3. Ironing (also totally groundbreaking).
    4. Make columbian black bean stew for dinner.
    5. Weed front garden.
    6. Phone EE to remove DH's inadvertently added data bundle.
    7. Bag up charity shop stuff.
    8. Tidy away the lego, which should now be easily sorted thanks to the zillion tupperwares.
    9. Make a spreadsheet for the extension plans so we can see whether we are on track as we go.
    10. Email the architect to keep him in the loop.
    11. Email mortgage broker to enquire about remortgaging situation.

to do this week
    1. charity shop run. Donations still cluttering up hallway.
    2. take snacks and picnics for days out with the children - no unplanned cafe trips!
    3. pack for camping.
    4. buy walking boots. DH managed to get some in the sale today for only £65 (down from £120), so only mine to go.
    5. make a decision on house extension and email architect. Decision made, need to email architect.

Aims for July
    1. Pay some extra off the MBNA card - I'd like this card gone asap. Well, a whopping £15 paid on top of the minimum payment so far, hoping to make another payment before end of month.
    2. Pay for camping holiday commitments out of self employed income rather than adding to debt. So far so good, but there is one more camping trip to cover in August.
    3. Stick to the budget even more closely than in June!
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2017 at 7:24AM
    Options
    Sounds like a plan :)

I understand not moving, location is everything. We moved for schools ( a whole other story as we did not send them to the planned school either so don't think for one minute I'm as cautious as I sometimes sound here ;) ). Not far, but more expensive - we gambled on being able to afford to stay for the school years and rely on equity to move again if we had too. 7 years in now and doing OK. I chip away at the mortgage (which is that rare interest only arrangement) from extras and savings so hopefully we don't have to move if we don't want to.

Hopefully the plan will have the upside of motivating you to stick to your budgetting and debt busting - your reward if you like.

Did you consider Prolific Academic - I mentioned it a while back and others have since. Its the least time consuming/highest reward survey site. I've made £140 and £75 ish the last 2 months. Those amounts would be significant to you at the moment. And I would, in a mildly scolding kind of way, suggest you could swap some Pin time to do it with a double bonus of cutting down on your 'window shopping' which does seem to get you down and put self-sabotaging temptation in your way rather a lot.

Stopping going shopping is actually what I did many years ago - when i went part time after children - if you don't see it, you don't miss it half as much. I can still spend a lottery win if you deposit me in John Lewis and that's after 15y of being 'goodish' so better not to look most of the time. I am now Queen of the Sales !

Good luck, tell me if my 'lectures' get too much - cheering you on meantime. Can you tell I see quite a few parallels? ;)

PS Am a bit out of touch with mortgages as not changed for over 7y but a top up used to typically be on a separate deal to your main mortgage so fixing that part wouldn't necessarily be an issue. Hopefully someone can confirm this.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    warby68 wrote: »
    don't think for one minute I'm as cautious as I sometimes sound here;)
    I'm :eek: . Say it isn't so! :D

I like the idea of Prolific Academic, but finding the time is a pain at the moment - I use Pinterest for work, sadly I'm not whiling away my leisure hours (I wish) on there! Literally haven't stopped yet this holiday - first time I sat down at home all day yesterday was in the evening to discuss extension with DH. Feasibly things might ease up as all those end of term jobs that got pushed back to the holidays clear up, but I'm not wildly optimistic, as I'm usually working during any spare time I have. The little bits of work pay off - made a few quid on my smaller business yesterday after spending half an hour on it. It's tiny dribs and drabs, probably the equivalent of surveys, but occasionally I get a big sale and it's an unexpected bonus.

I go into real life shops about once every three months, and that's usually to buy clothes for the DC! But I do look at lots of shops online for work too, although it's rare that I find something to spend money on just by browsing - I'm much more likely to suddenly decide that I need something because I've suddenly spotted an imaginary gaping hole in my life and am looking for something to fill the need that I have just decided I have. I'm a capitalist's dream. :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback