Holding savings for someone

Options
2»

Comments

• Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aren't trustee accounts still a thing? Or an account which requires two signatures for a withdrawal?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    Aren't trustee accounts still a thing? Or an account which requires two signatures for a withdrawal?
    You could create an account for a trust, but then OP needs to have a trust. You could create an account which requires multiple signatories if you have a club or society or company but then OP would need documentation for that. So all of those ideas create complications and expenses. You could create a joint account if you want to share the money, but OP presumably doesn't want to share the money , they want it still to be theirs but someone else control it. Presumably as it's a large sum they would still want to get the interest on it for themselves.

Unfortunately unless you open a formal trust or company or club/society account, the banks' terms and conditions will always say that the money in the account will be treated from their perspective as belonging to the person who runs the account and puts it there, and they do not recognise nominee or private trust arrangements where one person is holding the cash in their name but it beneficially belongs to someone else.

So, one way of doing it is just to loan the money to the elderly relative and properly document it. For inheritance purposes the loan owed back to OP would be taken off the value of the 'estate' and settled before any dividing up of the remaining assets - assuming there is actually enough money in the estate and the elderly relative didn't in the meantime accidently spend it or have it nicked by confidence tricksters or fraudsters. And assuming the executors or other relatives believed the loan documentation was genuine and not just constructed artificially by OP to get the relative's money as they became even more elderly or infirm or lost their marbles .

However a problem with the relative holding substantial cash balances in some circumstances is that if they were hoping to receive means-tested benefits of some kind when large amounts of cash would scupper that; the loan wouldn't automatically be taken off the cash to give a 'real net cash' figure. The loan would have to be repayable on demand so you could settle it quick and avoid such problems (and be able to sue the relative if they got any funny ideas about not wanting to pay it back when you genuinely needed it).

Also, if the loan has an interest rate it will be wasteful for tax as the relative will pay tax on the interest rate on 'their money' they get from the bank account and then OP will pay tax on the interest they get from their relative on the loan, while the interest expense for the relative is not tax-deductible. You could avoid the 'tax leakage' by documenting the loan just to be at 0%, but then OP doesn't have any legal right to any income from their substantial amount of money which will be disappointing as the value of the money declines in real terms due to inflation over time.

So, none of the easiest solutions are ideal. Putting the money into different fixed term deposits with banks, or into accounts with limited access only a couple of times a year without penalty, could be a help. The usefulness of those sorts of things depends on whether the OP has some serious problems or addictions (eg drugs or booze or gambling or compulsive spending or whatever) which would override the threat of a 'penalty' for early access: "oh whoops I've withdrawn £1000, still I have thousands so I can afford to lose a bit of interest".

Similarly if you know your relative has £20,000 cash belonging to you, and you go out and blow £15,000 on a credit card - if you said to the elderly relative "thanks for looking after my money, I now have a really important credit card bill which is charging me interest at 20% APR so can I get £15,000 back to settle the bill please", the relative would probably say yes unless they wanted you to suffer unncessarily. So, the 'giving money to someone else for safekeeping' trick is not necessarily going to solve all problems or reduce temptations.

But for simple situations to avoid temptation a basic, well-documented, loan arrangement might make sense (despite the practical issues that could occur) and for a more complex situation where you need 'protecting from yourself' a more complex and expensive trust arrangement could be used with one or more people formally acting as trustee.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just open a simple savings account that has no online access .... and give them your passbook for safekeeping.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Just open a simple savings account that has no online access .... and give them your passbook for safekeeping.
    If it's still your money though, and you can prove who you are, you can still get access to your funds even with a 'lost' passbook - if you don't mind the hassle. A more modern day equivalent would be to get an online account, but have someone else set up the online ID and password and security questions so that you don't get tempted to accidentally use it.

In terms of putting some not-insurmountable-but-annoying-enough-to prevent casual use blockages in the way, the AA idea seems the best so far :)
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MVA wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently received a large lump sum. I wish to give it to an elderly relative for safekeeping so that I will not be tempted to waste it.

What is the best way to do this? Am I able to do this without transferring ownership of the monies?

Thank you in advance.

How old are you? You could put some of it into a pension, which will not allow you to access it until 55? Sounds dull, but certainly one of the best things I have ever done.
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    that shows your username in a new light :)

Yes indeed, as mother of teenagers how else am I to get the back garden properly dug over?!
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm honestly amazed that a grown adult can't trust themselves not to touch a bank account. I really mean that. It's astonishing.

Anyway, some of the solutions above seem sensible.

- Fixed term bond that can't be touched until maturity
    - Savings or current account with no online access, no card and the nearest branch is 100 mile away
    - Put it in a pension

Good luck.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tara747 wrote: »
    I'm honestly amazed that a grown adult can't trust themselves not to touch a bank account. I really mean that. It's astonishing.
    Not sure that's really the most helpful contribution to the discussion - have you never heard of gambling addiction for example? Or other addictions that require money for that matter? Or various medical conditions affecting judgment? Or people who simply find spending very tempting? etc, etc....
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Not sure that's really the most helpful contribution to the discussion - have you never heard of gambling addiction for example? Or other addictions that require money for that matter? Or various medical conditions affecting judgment? Or people who simply find spending very tempting? etc, etc....

That's a fair point, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport