Benefits help

Options
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice please as I've never claimed benefits in my life and after a hunt around online I'm struggling for information.

At the moment I work full time, partner too, both earn approx £30k.

We are looking to buy a small business (leasehold cafe) and in the interim while the business is new I was wondering if there was anything I could claim in way of benefits to help us get by, if I was to leave my full time job?

I've seen stuff about income based, contribution based... have no idea what any of it is on about and am generally over my head with this sort of thing.

Any advice appreciated.

TIA, Sweetpeas x

Comments

• sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    You generally need to build that into the business plan, you may need to save for while to get some cash reserves behind you.

Why should the tax payer subsidise your business when you have left a well paying job.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid I agree. And I think that you'd need something very special to make a small cafe bring in more than £30k. Why would toy give up a well paid job for a risky money pit? And with £60k a year coming in, you don't have the savings to support yourself so you want the taxpayer to pay for your business venture....?

Sounds to me like you haven't given much thought to what you are doing.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sweetpeas wrote: »
    At the moment I work full time, partner too, both earn approx £30k.

We are looking to buy a small business (leasehold cafe) and in the interim while the business is new I was wondering if there was anything I could claim in way of benefits to help us get by, if I was to leave my full time job?

Stay in your job for another year but live off one wage.

That will give you a year's salary as back-up while you leave your job and try to make a go of a small business.
  • sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    Should have really added that my job is at risk at the moment so if I get made redundant the payout will cover the cost of the business to start up. Wasn't very clear was I.

Thanks, Sweets
  • sjbrun
    Options
    Perfect so the redundancy is also your cash reserves and you!!!8217;ve already built it into your business plan.

Plenty of people who start a business have to go without for months or much longer to get their business off the ground. I know I did and would never dream of asking for tax payer help to build my business.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Should have really added that my job is at risk at the moment so if I get made redundant the payout will cover the cost of the business to start up. Wasn't very clear was I.

Thanks, Sweets
    But that still doesn't make a difference. If you want to be claiming unemployment benefits, you need to be looking for work. If you aren't, then toy are expecting everyone in work to pay for you to set up a business that may very well fail - and if it doesn't, only benefits you.

Is there just the two of you? In which case, if you can't live for one year on £30k, your problem isn't the potential business. If you can't live on that you need to get back into work quickly. £30k may not be luxury, but it is far more than many people have for an entire family. You can't afford to take risks if you can't live on that.
  • sweetpeas_2
    sweetpeas_2 Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking more grants for the business that get paid back or something like that.
    Obviously I wouldn't claim 'unemployed' benefits as I wouldn't be 'unemployed'...

as I've said, I've no idea if and what new businesses can get as i've never been out of full time work.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was thinking more grants for the business that get paid back or something like that.
    Obviously I wouldn't claim 'unemployed' benefits as I wouldn't be 'unemployed'...

as I've said, I've no idea if and what new businesses can get as i've never been out of full time work.

That would be a business loan. Banks do them.

A few cafes do very well and expand into several branches and outside catering. Many many more go bust within a year.
  • sjbrun
    Options
    Remortgaging your house is the easiest way to raise finance for a new business but it isn!!!8217;t recommended as you could loose your house if the business fails.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options

No you weren't!

Your posts are full of references to 'claiming benefits'. You even refer to Income Based and Contributions Based benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure