How to replace lost share certificate cheaply?

Options
Is there a cheap way to replace a lost share certificate? I have just phoned one of the companies that I have shares in and they have told me I need to pay £65 to replace a certificate. Are there any alternative methods to replacing?

I presume I will need the share certificates if I ever want to sell my holding?

Comments

• grey_gym_sock
    Options
    you can only get a replacement certificate from the company's registrar. i suppose you could try haggling about the price, but i doubt that will work.

you can't sell without the certificate - unless there happens to be a take-over of the company, or a capital reorganization in which everybody is issued with new certificates. in those events, you would generally receive cash proceeds, or a new certificate, without needing to produce the old certificate.
  • Robie
    Robie Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2017 at 7:08PM
    Options
    I am in the similar position to confusedmummy. I have somehow lost some of my certificates due to house move, etc. but I have been quoted stupid money. Basically, if I go for replacement certificate, I don't make any money selling the shares. This is so stupid.

Edit: So, all I am doing at the moment is getting the dividend because selling is not an option at all.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robie wrote: »
    I am in the similar position to confusedmummy. I have somehow lost some of my certificates due to house move, etc. but I have been quoted stupid money. Basically, if I go for replacement certificate, I don't make any money selling the shares.

I 'lost' a certificate due to a house move, I seem to recall it cost me £80
  • gss_2
    Options
    I've just been quoted £257 to replace a certificate I haven't seen for at least 15 years...
    £210 for the indemnity insurance (to cover for someone else using my old certificate if it's found) and £47 admin fee. This quote is from Link Asset Services. Feels like exploitation given my lack of options.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Those prices sound about the going rate. I had to replace a share certificate and found there were two options: get a bank or building society to countersign (which made them party of the indemnity clause - they weren't just witnessing a signature - and guess what they wanted to charge for that...), or pay a hefty indemnity premium for a £60 share certificate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure