Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    kevin6666 wrote: »
    You don't seem to be offering any sort of solution to the problem though. It seems in your world taking Spain as an example they should have done nothing. i.e. Left existing FITs Installs as they are and carry on allowing domestic generators to install PV with no charges for using the grid.

Can you answer what happens when the major suppliers close or withdraw from Spain? Fine with the idea of the countrys national grid collapsing? Could well be the worst disaster is human history.

I don't think it's Martin's responsibility to provide the solution. I think it's enough to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. In this case PV could be making a very positive impact and therefore a decent government should be exploring ways to protect the stability of supply and the grid infrastructure whilst promoting it.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    . In this case PV could be making a very positive impact and therefore a decent government should be exploring ways to protect the stability of supply and the grid infrastructure whilst promoting it.

Whilst it is a statement of the obvious, solar doesn't generate at night and even in Spain often not during the day.

So the Spanish national grid still has to have sufficient generating capacity to cover periods when solar generates zilch; and conversely be able to instantly cope with excess solar generation.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Whilst it is a statement of the obvious, solar doesn't generate at night and even in Spain often not during the day.

So the Spanish national grid still has to have sufficient generating capacity to cover periods when solar generates zilch; and conversely be able to instantly cope with excess solar generation.

Of course. And sadly they missed an opportunity to help make progress on the performance and affordability of effective storage systems.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't seem to be offering any sort of solution to the problem though. It seems in your world taking Spain as an example they should have done nothing. i.e. Left existing FITs Installs as they are and carry on allowing domestic generators to install PV with no charges for using the grid.

Couple of corrections there. Firstly you seem to be trying to say it's OK to retrospectively cut the subsidies in Spain. Whilst this might fit with your views, remember this is a very dangerous move when it comes to faith in investment. It goes beyond PV, as renewables investors (or even wider) will now be concerned about Spain.

Not sure why you slipped in that "no charges for using the grid". The cost of the grid can be covered by a daily standing charge, and since no payments are made for export, the suppliers could use the money they make selling that on. What I disagree with is the false use of an export tax, simply to artificially push up the cost of demand side generation. I don't think anyone believes it is anything other than artificial support for the existing suppliers.

Can you answer what happens when the major suppliers close or withdraw from Spain? Fine with the idea of the countrys national grid collapsing? Could well be the worst disaster is human history.

Bit dramatic aren't we!

Spain, like all countries, will have to adapt to the change in generation type, and the change in generation source. Think about your argument, you are simply saying that the public shouldn't rock the boat. Fine, but back to an earlier post of mine, do you own a car, do you own a TV? Should these have been blocked to protect the older industries?

I appreciate that change frightens people, but that's not an excuse to block progress. PV generation in Spain only has a 2:1 ratio (July v's Dec) at 35d pitch. At 50d pitch it's only 1.5:1 (suffering only a 3% drop in annual gen, v's 35d). So it's an excellent resource, and ideally suited to small domestic batteries.

Regarding Spanish solutions, and thanks to ET for pointing out that this isn't 'my' problem, and for mentioning investment in storage.

Spain has a very good mix of generation already, only about 30% is FF. A lot of it is intermittent (wind (and a bit of PV)), plus a large amount of hydro, which is intermittent but a little more flexible. It also has a lot of nuclear, which is relatively inflexible. All of these would benefit from investment in storage, to help with demand following.

Also Spain is southerly enough to deploy CSP (which it has done), the latest molten salt CSP plants can generate 24hrs in the Summer, and I think for 4+ hours after sunset in the winter months (depending on weather).

If demand side PV reduces that FF element, and provides excess for storage later in the day/night, then that sounds like a good solution for the environment ....... if not for the established 'old boys' ....... but hey, that's progress.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Alan_Brown
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    To be clear, the tax isn't to deal with any excess, it's to prevent demand side PV. Effectively block any competition.

Obviously if there was an excess of PV, then spot prices would drop, and 'clever folk' would find ways to make use of lower spot prices, such as hydrogen production (for bio-methane etc), battery storage for later sale back to the grid etc etc.

Regarding your immersun idea, unfortunately, you'd still be using a GTI (grid tied inverter), and the export tax is based on generation, not export, so you'd still pay on every unit, despite exporting nothing.

Hence the need for a completely off-grid PV setup to avoid the export tax.

If this sounds too harsh to be true, trust me, nobody believes a system like this can be real till they read the articles and press coverage, it really is that bad, and that obvious. I've been following it for years and still can't believe it's happened.

Very sad.

Mart.

Thanks Mart. I skimmed a lot of the articles while at work so I probably missed some stuff. I assumed that there must be a logical reason for a government to apply this levy and excess solar overloading the grid was all I could come up with.

It's a ridiculous situation really, but perhaps some good will come out of it by driving improvements/reduction in storage technology and general energy efficiency around the home to reduce the size of storage required.

Personally I'd love to go off grid, but it's just not possible in the UK with solar and I don't have access to other renewable technologies.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 27 January 2016 at 12:15PM
    Options
    Alan_Brown wrote: »
    Personally I'd love to go off grid, but it's just not possible in the UK with solar and I don't have access to other renewable technologies.

Yep, second that. In the UK you really need some wind generation for off-grid, but small scale wind doesn't work very well. I chat on a renewables forum, and some folk have wind and some are off-grid. Wind seems to involve a lot of work (and love) lowering turbines before storms, or switching on dump loads to protect batteries, whereas these same folk are loving PV as the inverter can 'leave' the leccy in the panels when the batts are full. The guys with wind (so to speak) generally seem to refer to needing 200m of unobstructed space between the turbine and the main direction the wind comes from, in order for turbulence to settle down. House rooves cause so much turbulence that small domestic turbines may spend more time 'hunting' than generating.

If you're interested I managed to get some numbers from an off-gridder, and listed some kit here, but this was more with 'warm places' such as Spain or Aus in mind, where PV generation is higher in the bottom months:
    Well ....... that was fast, I think asking for advice from someone who has been called a liar regarding battery costs was a good idea!

If you read around that post you'll find more info, but don't stray too far, most of the thread is me (and others) arguing with a pro-coaler, whose numbers were (to be polite) a little pessimistic.

Also note those batt prices are lead acid, so we're talking serious off-gridding, battery room/shed, for tonne(s) of storage.

Lastly, something I mentioned on the flow boiler thread, if you had batts, then it might (just might?) be practical to use a CHP boiler instead of a back up generator. That way you could run the boiler for heat, even if leccy isn't needed (into batts), and run the boiler in shorter harder stints, to maximise the generation potential (again with batts in mind, not needing to time match heating and leccy demand). But these CHP's aren't cheap, so just a thought going forward. In the non-heating months, an appropriately sized PV and batt probably wouldn't need back up.

[Edit: So I don't expect a flood of UK households leaving the grid, but as battery storage improves, I would expect to see PV households able to reduce their demand on the grid, especially in the early evenings, when batts will (presumably on average) be at their fullest (weather dependent), since that's the point in time when you'd expect to move from charging to depleting. M.]

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Two year old article, but it seems relevant to the recent discussion. Particularly interesting given the long list of solutions, and a couple of the statements:-

Solar Supporters: It’s Open Season on the Utilities’ Duck
    In other words, the technical challenges of the duck are manageable, largely with existing technology.

The economic problems for utilities – stemming from an outdated business model – may not be so manageable.
    Utilities point to the duck chart as evidence that renewable energy development should be stopped on technical grounds. But it’s in the belly of the beast we find the real utility problem: energy demand displaced by solar represents lost market share for utilities as their customers switch to sunshine.

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    I genuinely don't know if this is serious. My understanding of the solar roadways campaign was that it simply didn't make economic sense, but does this?

France to pave 1,000km of road with solar panels

I'd have thought road side canopies, car park canopies etc etc, would be cheaper than traffic proof PV. However, if it works, then that's space sorted ...... if it works.

Mart.

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd have thought road side canopies, car park canopies etc etc, would be cheaper than traffic proof PV. However, if it works, then that's space sorted ...... if it works.

Mart.
    IF it works !!

If we paved the M25 with that sort of panel, they'd hardly ever be exposed to sunlight due to all the traffic jams blocking out the light ! Other major motorways wouldn't be a great deal better and urban roads would have the additional problem of shading by buildings.

Was the article originally published on April 1st by any chance ? :D
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Alan_Brown
    Alan_Brown Posts: 200 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2016 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Yep, second that. In the UK you really need some wind generation for off-grid, but small scale wind doesn't work very well. I chat on a renewables forum, and some folk have wind and some are off-grid. Wind seems to involve a lot of work (and love) lowering turbines before storms, or switching on dump loads to protect batteries, whereas these same folk are loving PV as the inverter can 'leave' the leccy in the panels when the batts are full. The guys with wind (so to speak) generally seem to refer to needing 200m of unobstructed space between the turbine and the main direction the wind comes from, in order for turbulence to settle down. House rooves cause so much turbulence that small domestic turbines may spend more time 'hunting' than generating.

If you're interested I managed to get some numbers from an off-gridder, and listed some kit here, but this was more with 'warm places' such as Spain or Aus in mind, where PV generation is higher in the bottom months:

If you read around that post you'll find more info, but don't stray too far, most of the thread is me (and others) arguing with a pro-coaler, whose numbers were (to be polite) a little pessimistic.

Also note those batt prices are lead acid, so we're talking serious off-gridding, battery room/shed, for tonne(s) of storage.

Lastly, something I mentioned on the flow boiler thread, if you had batts, then it might (just might?) be practical to use a CHP boiler instead of a back up generator. That way you could run the boiler for heat, even if leccy isn't needed (into batts), and run the boiler in shorter harder stints, to maximise the generation potential (again with batts in mind, not needing to time match heating and leccy demand). But these CHP's aren't cheap, so just a thought going forward. In the non-heating months, an appropriately sized PV and batt probably wouldn't need back up.

[Edit: So I don't expect a flood of UK households leaving the grid, but as battery storage improves, I would expect to see PV households able to reduce their demand on the grid, especially in the early evenings, when batts will (presumably on average) be at their fullest (weather dependent), since that's the point in time when you'd expect to move from charging to depleting. M.]

Mart.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and was wondering if you were on mains gas and whether you'd thought of trying to go off-grid with that?

For example, someone with a well insulated home with electric showers and air sourced heat pump technology, etc. who also had solar PV and an immersun device could move away from gas and go completely electric. Whether the savings on the gas standing charge vs the fact that gas is cheaper than electricity works out financially, is one point, but the other would be the potential that you coul dgo clean energy with your home, especially if you could add to your generation with additional solar or wind turbine.

Another potential for going off grid would be water. With a borehole providing drinking water with rainwater or greywater recycling and and a cesspit, you could go off grid.

It might cost you a little more to be off grid rather than on, but it'd be good to get away from the money grabbing utility companies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback