Travel insurance, Easyjet and the Missed departure

Options
Good Morning,
As I've become a recent slave to keyboards and emails I thought I come on here and seek some pearls of wisdom?
I'm currently 4 weeks into a claim with my travel insurance company and Easyjet regarding a missed departure flight. The result was £600 cost to get where i wanted to go.
In short, I missed, or more accurately Easyjet insisted I missed my scheduled departure flight......even though I joined the check in queue 15-mins before the bagged check in closed!!
To cut a long story short, due to a culmination of travel delays getting to the airport, and the refusal of the Easyjet queue manager to allow me to "jump the queue" I now find myself in a battle with my insurance providers' claims handling company to get my money back which they have rejected.
My insurance company pass you onto their claims handling company and refuse to discuss it and the claims handling company require historical traffic information which is nigh on impossible to obtain.
As for Easyjet they just ignore most of my emails and just try and send you round and round in circles.
I am in the process of complaining and waiting on final decisions from 3 parties, Easyjet (ignoring me and refused to pay out), my insurance company Cedar Tree (refusing to deal with me and keep forwarding me to the claims company), and their claims handling company RightPath Claims (who have rejected my claim and asked for impossible to achieve evidence).
Fast forward to the future when I anticipate all three have basically tried to wash their hands of me........ what are my options?
I can complain about Easyjet when the time comes to the relevant aviation ombudsman, again a long winded email trail process?
I can complain to the financial ombudsman about the insurance company and its claims handling company, again a long winded drawn out email process?
Or just cut to the chase and file a MCOL against Easyjet?
A few things which are annoying me, most importantly, I'm out of pocket to the tune of £600...........then the fact that I had met the guidelines under Easyjet's T&C's for checking in..........the absolute run around I'm experiencing with the insurance company.......... and the amount of information the claims handling company expect me to dig up on historical traffic data during my journey....!! I'm firing emails off to Highways England, Wales, local authorities, anyone and everyone it seems!!
You'd have thought some of your insurance premium would go towards them doing some of the leg work when faced with a customer claim??
Any input gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Try the free to you escalations before going to mcol

You pay the upfront Court costs which you only can claim back off the defendant if you win
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    who are the insurance company?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The insurance T&C's seem fairly clear re delay en-route to the airport (presumably you're looking at section 3 and you can provide the required info) however given you made it to the airport in time I can't see how they could be held liable.

That means any complaint should be with Easyjet - good luck in proving the timings and making a case against them

SECTION I

MISSED DEPARTURE

What is covered

We [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]will pay [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]up to the amounts shown in the schedule of benefits for reasonable additional accommodation (room only) and travel expenses if [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]incur costs as a result of failing to arrive in time to board the public transport on which [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]are booked to travel (or in the case of a cruise joining [/FONT][/FONT]your [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]ship at the next possible port of call) as a result of: [/FONT][/FONT]

1. [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]the failure of other [/FONT][/FONT]public transport [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]or [/FONT][/FONT]

2. [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]an accident to or breakdown of the vehicle in which [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]are travelling or [/FONT][/FONT]

3. [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]an accident or breakdown happening ahead of [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]on a public road which causes an unexpected delay to the vehicle in which [/FONT][/FONT]you [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]are travelling or [/FONT][/FONT]

4. [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]strike, industrial action or adverse weather conditions. [/FONT][/FONT]
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Easyjet are a nightmare to deal with.
    I lost a "comfort seat" on a flight that was purchased for my husbands arthritic leg.
    We lost the seat we'd paid for when the plane was changed due to a technical fault.
    We were offered E250 compensation for agreeing to give up the (partially) empty seat for another passenger (I sat in the flight assistants seat for 45 mins to reduce my husband discomforrt/pain).

I had a written offer with the name of the captain, head crew, and time of phone call to the airport liason who authorisde the compensation and I was told the call was recorded.

Easyjet came up with every excuse under the sun e.g. it's not signed, when it was authorised and recorded.

I obtained the compensation in the end, I stuck to my guns and sent a letter before action recorded delivery, but I was confident because it was authorised and I had all the names/times/details/written offer.

But they did everything they could to squirm out of something theyd not only agreed to but also offered !!

Good Luck
  • Quentin
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »

I obtained the compensation in the end, I stuck to my guns and sent a letter before action recorded delivery.........

As a general rule, don't use signed for when sending to an addressee who would be advantaged by claiming they never received the item

This is because all the slippery customer has to do to prove that the item wasn't received is to refuse it on attempted delivery

(The courts use normal delivery, as do police etc)

Just get a free certificate of posting from the post office which you keep on file
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options
    You failed to allow sufficient time for your journey to the airport. Unless there is a specific, unforeseeable, event that delayed your arrival at the airport you'll get nowhere with this.
  • andrew957
    andrew957 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    You failed to allow sufficient time for your journey to the airport. Unless there is a specific, unforeseeable, event that delayed your arrival at the airport you'll get nowhere with this.

What was the expected arrival time of the OP vs the OP's actual arrival time at the airport that you've drawn this conclusion from?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    As a general rule, don't use signed for when sending to an addressee who would be advantaged by claiming they never received the item

This is because all the slippery customer has to do to prove that the item wasn't received is to refuse it on attempted delivery

(The courts use normal delivery, as do police etc)

Just get a free certificate of posting from the post office which you keep on file

Thanks for your general advice.
    Personally I prefer on occasion to know for sure something has arrived (given that almost always things are going to be settled out of court).
    If it were a sole trader with a dispute I might agree but a large business like easyjet is extremely unlikely to refuse all the mail at their head office.
  • Quentin
    Options
    The point is send something signed for allows the recipient to be able to prove they never received it!

So a waste of money and could be counter productive!

Slippery customers only refuse the signed for items - not everything of course
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Options
    lchris21 wrote: »
    Flight was departing at 12:50. Guidelines on Easyjet recommend the standard 2-hrs before departure, but clearly states the check-in does not close until 40-minutes before departure (12:10pm). I allowed approx 3hrs for the 89 mile journey, a journey I have made dozens of times in well under 2hrs or less. I arrived at the queue at 11:55am so had 15-minutes to the 40min cut-off get to the automated check in station.

So what time did you actually leave and did you check Google Maps to see what the expected traffic so you could have left earlier if it showed issues?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure