Loose screws in wooden door

Okay simple, but probably really stupid question - y'all have always helped me regardless.

The top two screws on my front door handle (inside) are totally loose and the threading on the wood has completely gone. The screws can easily be pulled in and out by hand. How do I fix this?

Image here if my explanation not clear: https://imgur.com/a/JG3exBW

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fill the screw holes with matchsticks and wood glue, allow to dry then refit.
  • bobbybobbo
    bobbybobbo Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Nice suggestion! Do I need to drill a hole into the matches/glue first or just screw right into it?
  • B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Or glue a rawlplug in each hole.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    just screw straight in
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • bobbybobbo
    bobbybobbo Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Tried to give this a go, but realised I can't remove the front panel of the handle. It's blocked by the knob of the lock (see here: https://imgur.com/a/ZklTebJ) and I can't twist the panel to get access to the screw holes, because of the rod going through the handle through to the handle on the other side.

Do I need to disassemble the entire lock? Does this involve unscrewing the panel on the thin edge of the door?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, normally you would undo the faceplate over the latch. This will allow you to see and then remove the long machine screw that holds the lock cylinder in place. Normally the lock has to be turned slightly before it can be withdrawn.

Once you have the lock out, you will be able to get access.

If you have any bamboo skewers you could use them as alternative to matchsticks.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • tacpot12 wrote: »
    Yes, normally you would undo the faceplate over the latch. This will allow you to see and then remove the long machine screw that holds the lock cylinder in place.

Perfect! This worked a treat. Stuck some matchsticks in with wood glue, let it dry for a couple of hours, and just put it all back together. Screws seem quite snug and handle is no longer half falling off.

Thanks so much for your help guys! No idea how I'd survive without the internet :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 19 March 2019 at 9:33AM
    Before the Internet there were DIY bibles/manuals regular mags. with a lot of the basic hints and tips.

Readers digest were prolific.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Before the Internet there were DIY bibles/manuals regular mags. with a lot of the basic hints and tips.

Readers digest were prolific.

I started a thread on this topic just after Christmas when I could not find a bookshop which had a DIY manual. I wanted one to give as a Christmas present. Hundreds of books on gardening, baking and cooking though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure