About to be made redundant... Again?

I'm 37, this will be redundancy number 4, most don't get this in their entire working career so I'm doing well in that regards. What I mean by redundancy is the business goes into administration and you're out on your ear.

Because this is number 4 for me you can just tell the signs, work has severely slowed, bills not being paid, running out of stock and it not being replenished, bosses managers not showing any interest or not being in, random guys in suits being shown around, the smart guy makes an appearance, the smart guy is the know it all who tries to get the company closed without costing the boss too much money, the smart guy is also the guy who screws over your redundancy and wages owed, you effectively are out on your ear and have to claim all from the government which going by past experience takes 6 months plus, the smart guy has been in several times now.

I work in manufacturing, all minimum wage work, it really screws guys like us as we generally don't earn enough to save anything so once the smart guy puts you out you are screwed and because of universal credit is paid in arrears you've no money for a month or so.

The question is what should I do? Do I start looking elsewhere and loss my redundancy or hold tight? What makes this redundancy different from previous for me is the premises have a lot of land attached thats in a prime location for housing, it was last valued at £5 million a couple of years back, that was always the bosses long term aim and he admits this, we just thought that we might get another few years but I guess with business on the decline now is the time, the premises itself is an old factory built in the 40's thats only really good for knocking down.

Any advice? I'm only there 6 years so not a massive redundancy but for someone who earns minimum wage its a substantial lift.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Redundancy payments are intended to provide an income until you find a new job. Surely it makes more sense to find a job asap because your former colleagues will also be looking at the same jobs that you are, and if you hang around, those very same jobs will be gone
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • n1guy
    n1guy Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Redundancy payments are intended to provide an income until you find a new job. Surely it makes more sense to find a job asap because your former colleagues will also be looking at the same jobs that you are, and if you hang around, those very same jobs will be gone

That's a laugh, never has worked that way for me. They've always wriggled out of paying it leaving it up to the government to fork out.

There only are 4 of us left. 2 are in there 60's near retirement so I expect they'll just retire, another guy isn't overly worried as a relative owns a business and they've been looking him to go work for them for years, it just really effects me.

The really annoying thing is its so hard to find a firm that doesn't treat you like a piece of dirt and decent colleagues to work with. This was the first job I ever had like this. The fact I've not missed 1 day in the 5 years I've worked there says a lot as I've had warnings in previous jobs because of time off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure