PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 March 2019 at 8:40PM
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    She’s alive and well and recently had her card from the Queen. And her telegram from Amber Rudd as DWP sec - who knew that was a thing?!
    When I left teaching, I got a card from Ed Balls thanking me for my many years of service.

I thought, "What a low level we've sunk to, when a Minister for Education confuses 'service' and 'servitude.'"
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    When I left teaching, I got a card from Ed Balls thanking me for my many years of service.

I thought, "What a low level we've sunk to, when a Minister for Education confuses 'service' and 'servitude.'"

What a funny thing! You’ve just jogged a memory of people in the NHS getting a message from the Health Secretary after a certain number of years ‘service’. All a bit yesteryear.

Someone from the DWP came to visit my gran to confirm the arrangements for the card and telegram. These visits are their main job. I suspected it was an excuse to check it wasn’t me in a white wig and her pension book.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    vansboy wrote: »
    Picture 15.....is that a bit of pervy artwork, or my imagination??

Must be your imagination. It says cactus to me. :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Dandie89
    Dandie89 Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Someone from the DWP came to visit my gran to confirm the arrangements for the card and telegram. These visits are their main job. I suspected it was an excuse to check it wasn’t me in a white wig and her pension book.
    My sister did that job! And, yes, it was not unheard of for someone to have kept claiming the pension of their parent until that day that someone came to see if they were wanted a card only to find the centenarian was obviously only in their seventies.
  • CathA
    CathA Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dandie89 wrote: »
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60988479.html
    Got ALL the features this one.
    Strip lighting
    Hatch
    Sliding door
    Pelmets
    Avocado or otherwise green bathroom and last but not least the old
    Plastic oversink vanity unit.

We had a burgundy one, matching the burgundy bathroom suite. Oh my days!
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think some re-decoration may be needed- not quite sure by the alternate wall decoration in the living room!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61067988.html
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 6:03AM
    Options
    Dandie89 wrote: »
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60988479.html
    Got ALL the features this one.
    Strip lighting
    Hatch
    Sliding door
    Pelmets
    Avocado or otherwise green bathroom and last but not least the old
    Plastic oversink vanity unit.

It's a beautiful house though. Nothing that a bit of upgrading won't fix. Change bedroom 4 into a bathroom and use the ground floor one as a utility room with toilet.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

My husband got one from whoever the Education Secretary was in 2004. He threw it in the bin.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    edited 20 March 2019 at 9:12AM
    Options
    My husband got one from whoever the Education Secretary was in 2004. He threw it in the bin.
    I think mine still exists....somewhere, as does the camera the Head presented me with...... well, not the actual camera he'd selected. I took that back to the shop and asked, "May I set this piece of junk against something that will take good photos?"

My extra wodge of cash secured something that still does great close-ups in natural light . :D

The ironic part No1: as he made the presentation, the Head said "Don't worry Dave, it doesn't require any great technical skills!"

The ironic part No2: I was still teaching there on supply when we finally managed to get rid of him. :rotfl:
  • Dandie89
    Dandie89 Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a beautiful house though. Nothing that a bit of upgrading won't fix. Change bedroom 4 into a bathroom and use the ground floor one as a utility room with toilet.

I thought exactly the same :). It's a nice area and a very pleasant road too. Not really looking for a dooer upper, nor am I in position yet but this one does look tempting although I think it is maybe priced a bit high at the mo. I'd probably keep the hatch too. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure