Roof repairs with neighbour's chimney requiring work

Options
Hello, I'm a FTB and I'm after advice. I live in a terraced house and the roof is leaking near the neighbour's chimney causing damp in my property. So a roofer went and had a look and it appears that neighbour's chimney requires some work. He's taken photos and sent them to me along with the quote which seems very reasonable.

Now this is where I'm lost - how should I handle this with my neighbours. Of course, I will speak with them (I did mention to them earlier that someone's going to go up on the roof). But what should I expect?

Ideally they'd pay for repairs but I'm happy to chip in as my attic room is in pretty bad state. The neighbours have said before that there are no leaks on their side. However, if they agree to fix it and happy to go with my chosen roofer, should they speak with him?

I'm totally new to this situation so worried to mess it up. Thanks

Comments

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How much are we talking for the repairs?

I assume when the neighbours say 'no leaks on our side' they really mean, we havent seen any water ourselves so it cant be us.

Is the chimney stack one that is in the middle/shared?
  • sol2017
    sol2017 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The chimney stack is in the middle, however each house has their own. I'm not sure about terminology here but I hope I'm explaining correctly.

Been quoted £250 so not unreasonable. Similar to what other roofer mentioned.

I'd like to approach this positively and hope that we will reach consensus with my neighbours. I just don't know what I should do now and what I should ask them to do. The roofer that gave the quote might be able to get the work done next week and I'd like to get it done asap and avoid delays.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd show them the pictures and ask them if they'd be happy to get it it sorted if you chipped in. If they said no, I'd ask them if they minded if you paid for a roofer to fix it - as it's causing you problems. For the sake of £250, it's not worth the grief.

If they say no to the latter, put a hole in the party wall and attach a hose - then tell them you've no damp on your side when they complain.
  • zaqxsw
    zaqxsw Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Might be worth apportioning the costs - the chimney stack is a shared structure so it is in both interests to keep it good.

Technically the party wall act applies here, but the cost of repair is so minimal that I would recommend staying away from surveyor's fees! Keep it amicable and work together as neighbours to sort out joint problems on shared assets.
  • sol2017
    sol2017 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As they're currently not in a position to pay (especially if they don't see benefit to themselves) I'll cover the cost. I've given my neighbours the contact details of my roofer to get in touch and allow access/instruct him to fix the leak. Wasn't sure if it needed any paperwork or if this was sufficient.
  • zaqxsw
    zaqxsw Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    A party wall notice was needed or the neighbour's written consent for you to undertake the work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure