New MOT Diesel Emissions

Options
Hi all

trying to find out some info online, but all stems to the "new" rules for MOT only, and trying to find some first hand experience regarding the new emissions rules under the new MOT

I have a 2012 2L diesel, it has a DPF, and the items I have found online suggest cars like mine will struggle passing the new MOT.

just wondering if anyone has had MOT done on a newer diesel car with DPF since the changes come into force?

many thanks

Comments

• Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine went for MOT in September - 2012 Volvo C30 1.6D passed no problem. nothing on the letter you get (no cert now - all on line) and garage never mentioned it so assuming everything was way within spec.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    trying to find out some info online, but all stems to the "new" rules for MOT only, and trying to find some first hand experience regarding the new emissions rules under the new MOT

I have a 2012 2L diesel, it has a DPF, and the items I have found online suggest cars like mine will struggle passing the new MOT.

Yes you'll find idiots who drive sheds making all kinds of claims. If you haven't had the DPF deleted and there's no warning lights then it'll pass the test. Basically during the smoke test a car with a DPF filter can't emit any smoke. If you've had the DPF filter removed or gutted then it cannot possibly pass this test as it'll chuck black smoke out when revved.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Diesels are not tested for emissions. They have a smoke test.

As long as the DPF if fitted is still fitted and working then the test is exactly the same as before.

The only difference now is they need to look for the DPF and fail it if its missing or appears to be tampered with in any way.

And any visible smoke from a vehicle with a DPF is likely to fail.

Scaremongering about the changes. If the CAT and DPF are still fitted and working its the same as before.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »

If it's not broken, and hasn't been mucked about with, there's no reason it won't pass.

The main difference is that post-2008 diesels are tested to the figure the manufacturer gave on a plate under the bonnet, instead of a generic limit, and that the engine management light isn't lit. Hardly a high bar.

just wondering if anyone has had MOT done on a newer diesel car with DPF since the changes come into force?
    The test changed in May, and it's now October. I'd take an educated guess that getting on for half the 3yo+ cars on the road have been tested in that time...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Adrian Goldberg did a report on 5 Live Investigates about the DPF removal industry back in September pre-change and they found plenty of dodgy MOT places that would sign them off with a DPF missing in a car they fixed for the investigation (before the new rules), I wonder if that will still be the case post changes, few quid to a mate to look the other way and keep on pumping out gunk. The danger really is the people who buy diesels and drive like petrol who are going to have all sorts of issues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09bxgjd
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    If you've had the DPF filter removed or gutted then it cannot possibly pass this test as it'll chuck black smoke out when revved.

No. This is not true.

A well maintained diesel car without a DPF can and will pass the MOT smoke test.

A diesel car without a DPF but in need of maintenance - for example badly worn injectors, turbo, pump, etc - wont though.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    A well maintained diesel car without a DPF can and will pass the MOT smoke test.
    If it's a pre-July 08 car, then easily. But after that... Much harder. It almost certainly won't hit the manufacturer's opacity limit, and would struggle to hit the levels of opacity for a generic post-08 test, though, and especially the post-Jan 14 level.

And it should definitely fail on a missing DPF, unless it's been gutted in such a way as to be invisible when fitted.
  • Svein_Forkbeard
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits#new-default-limit-for-newer-vehicles

Be warned that the number on your plate may be lower on the plate than the default limit. There are ways round this which you may wish to discuss with your mechanic but probably not strictly legal.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    No. This is not true.

A diesel car without a DPF but in need of maintenance - for example badly worn injectors, turbo, pump, etc - wont though.

It's a fail if they spot the DPF is gone though as it's illegal to drive a diesel that should have a DPF without one. Depends how well hidden away it is in the car
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks all for your replies, it is re-assuring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts