PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Failed reference checks

Options
Hello

I apologies when is somewhere same post.

First of all I wanted to rent a property through letting agent. I got full time pernament contract and partner works part time. After questions of letting agents, landlord decided to go through. We paid fees, and went through references checks. After two days reference checks returned positive, BUT they had problems with my partners employer. He putted to the reference checks that shes on zero hours contract, so they started asking for guarantor. Although I don't know any guarantor, we offered to pay three months upfront rent. After that, landlord was more than happy to carry on that we will take a house, and also paid him deposit required. After three or four days I had message from letting agent that I should call them urgently. When I called them, they told me that landlord changed his mind, that we are too risky for him and all this crap that he needs reliable and prospective tenants. After argument with letting agent and this terrible experience which almost left me on a street with my family (as I already gave notice to my current landlord) I told letting agent that this is innapopriate behaviour from landlord and i see there discrimination and prejudice, because although we provided good references and bank statements for last three months and whatever needed first landlord agreed and then withdrawed his decision, and had no problems with get type of contract, letting agent started being rude to me, how dare I accusing them from discrimination and such a good person like landlord, and after that we were lying on our application and that is our fault, and if we want this house we can offer 6 months upfront rent to make landlord happy, and if we dont have nothing more to offer, they will withdraw our application, which they did.

However, i would like to hear your opinion, and also if you think that I got any chance to get my £250 back from letting agents through complaint procedure, because i believe that I didnt do nothing wrong and such a disgraceful behaviour calling me a liar is not appopriate at all.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So is your girlfriend part time with contracted hours, or is she on a zero hour contract?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • joshp1993
    joshp1993 Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've failed referencing based on a lack of proven income then I don't see how you could get a fee back unfortunately.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So who is correct about how your girlfriend is employed? You or the girlfriend's employer?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Patko2908 wrote: »

However, i would like to hear your opinion, and also if you think that I got any chance to get my £250 back from letting agents through complaint procedure, because i believe that I didnt do nothing wrong and such a disgraceful behaviour calling me a liar is not appopriate at all.

When did you pay the fees? Fees have been illegal since 1st June.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I told letting agent that this is innapopriate behaviour from landlord and i see there discrimination and prejudice, because although we provided good references and bank statements for last three months and whatever needed first landlord agreed and then withdrawed his decision, and had no problems with get type of contract, letting agent started being rude to me, how dare I accusing them from discrimination and such a good person like landlord

On what basis are you accusing them of "discrimination and prejudice"? Perhaps the agent's response was not wholly professional but accusing them of nonsense like this is really only going to get someones back up. Better to just bite your tongue.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and all this crap that he needs reliable and prospective tenants

I don't think it's crap at all that a landlord needs reliable tenants. Surely it's better to tackle the specific issues head on (your gf's employment status confirmation) than it is lashing out because you feel wronged?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Patko2908
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Letting agents and landlord knew about her type of contract and landlord was more than happy to proceed with the application, with a condition that we will pay three months upfront, which we agreed and on next day we sent him deposit, as requested.

However, three days after he changed his mind and started being greedy and letting agents demanded six months upfront to make him happy.

And why I see it as discrimination?
    1.We already agreed on terms and conditions with agency and landlord, few days before signing contract he changed his mind , started demanding more money and I don't see a reason why should I pay for their mistakes, and blaming someone else

2. Milions people works on zero hour contract or self-employed in the UK, earning and working more that others, and it doesnt make them 'unreliable' or lazy people. So therefore clasifying and judging people on their type of employment I see as discrimination. OF course from point of view I see that landlord want to get some 'extra protection' to see that tenants will pay rent and wont be behind, but I don't agree taking advantage of them and demanding more and more money.

Although, my partners contract problem I see only as an excuse, so someone from them can get away with it.

As mentioned above, landlord agreed with all of this, and I don't see normal that he changes conditions and demanding more money whenever he likes, and especially when he agreed to three months upfront
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Letting agents and landlord knew about her type of contract and landlord was more than happy to proceed with the application, with a condition that we will pay three months upfront, which we agreed and on next day we sent him deposit, as requested.

However, three days after he changed his mind and started being greedy and letting agents demanded six months upfront to make him happy.

And why I see it as discrimination?
    1.We already agreed on terms and conditions with agency and landlord, few days before signing contract he changed his mind , started demanding more money and I don't see a reason why should I pay for their mistakes, and blaming someone else

2. Milions people works on zero hour contract or self-employed in the UK, earning and working more that others, and it doesnt make them 'unreliable' or lazy people. So therefore clasifying and judging people on their type of employment I see as discrimination. OF course from point of view I see that landlord want to get some 'extra protection' to see that tenants will pay rent and wont be behind, but I don't agree taking advantage of them and demanding more and more money.

Although, my partners contract problem I see only as an excuse, so someone from them can get away with it.

As mentioned above, landlord agreed with all of this, and I don't see normal that he changes conditions and demanding more money whenever he likes, and especially when he agreed to three months upfront

Did you actually speak to the landlord or did this all come through the agent? I can see a situation where the agent might have asked you for 3 months up front and then asked the landlord about it. The landlord might then have said no. Unless you communicated directly with the landlord I don't think you can be totally certain how much the letting agent told them.

I can see that the zero hours contract if that is what it actually was not part time could cause a problem because the work is not guaranteed and if that lack of guarantee means rent arrears no landlord is going to want that.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It would help if you could throw some light on the following please -

What does the £250 consist of? I'm assuming it's not just reference checks.

When was the fees paid? When was the tenancy due to start as per the initial T&Cs? Tenant fees have been banned for contracts since June 1.

Is it a small estate agent or a large/national one? It might be worth submitting a formal complaint.
  • Patko2908
    Options
    Those £250 consists of 2x reference checks for two people (£125 each) and in Wales we still have to pay for that. The estate agent is big and got offices across Wales. Tenancy has to start in three days (28th) and fees were paid 7th June. On 21th June i had a phone call from letting agent that landlord is happy accept upfront rent and we just need to wait till 28th to sign contract, collect the keys and pay money. All paperwork has been completed until todays morning and shocking phone call from letting agent that landlord called them that he wants guarantor also besides three months upfront rent.

All the communication was through letting negotiator, so i had no contact with landlord directly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure