How is my main current account decided?

Options
I'm looking to switch my current account to take advantage of the cash.

However I'm not sure I understand which is the account I'll be switching from.

I have 3 accounts, in order of opening:
1. Barclays Current Account
2. A 2nd Barclays Current Account
3. A Monzo Account

I assume the one I need to switch from is 1 as it's perhaps deemed my main current account as it was opened first? Or am I wrong and there is no such thing as a main current account?

If there is, can I somehow switch the main one to be 2 as I want to keep 1 for credit history reasons (I've had it forever)?

I hope I'm making sense :beer:

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can switch any account that you like as long as you meet the vital t&cs. Non of them specify that it has to be your 'main' a/c- clearly that's what they'd like!-
    It could of course be your 2nd Barclays- your choice

Just make sure that the one you choose to switch has been groomed ready ie: has a bit of a balance and has the DDs (if needed)

Remember if a monthly minimum pay in is needed it does not need to be a lump sum, you could in fact move money in and out (the same money) or you could cycle it through .
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Non of them specify that it has to be your 'main' a/c-.
    Nationwide do. But they provide no definition of what a 'main' account is.
    You can switch any account that you like as long as you meet the vital t&cs.
    Exactly
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Non of them specify that it has to be your 'main' a/c
    The reason the OP is posting is because some do specify "main" account. Nationwide is one. However, they, like us here, don't/can't say what a main account is.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What the banks really want is the current account that your wages/salary are paid into. But they can't actually say that, so they stipulate a minimum amount that has to be paid in monthly - which means that as long as you pay that amount in monthly, it doesn't have to be your wages/salary at all.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    What the banks really want is the current account that your wages/salary are paid into. But they can't actually say that, so they stipulate a minimum amount that has to be paid in monthly - which means that as long as you pay that amount in monthly, it doesn't have to be your wages/salary at all.

They could say you need to pay your salary/wages, or pensions or benefits, in if they wanted to. That would be somehow meaningless, however, because they couldn't actually ascertain that you do. Nonetheless, at least one of them (HSBC) has been known to turn down applicants who said they would transfer money from one of their other accounts.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Nationwide do. But they provide no definition of what a 'main' account is.
    Well, I never knew that!
    Switched to them and it certainly isn't my 'main 'a/c!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    Options
    The banks say "main" account as what they actually want you to do is to switch your everyday banking to them so they can make some money off of you - in practice there is no requirement whatsoever to do this unless you actually want to. Switching ANY account will do, as long as you fully meet the T&Cs of the incentive on offer. If you want to keep all your existing accounts open, then I'd suggest opening up an additional account with Barclays and switching that one.
  • triteata
    Options
    Thank you very much all! I had no idea banks can be so cheeky (ok, I did, but in this case it's quite funny) :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure