Hire Purchase - Nissan Note DPF Issue

Options
Peter_87
Peter_87 Posts: 74 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
A relative purchased a 2014 Nissan Note in November 2017 (6 Months ago).

On the weekend the engine management light went on dashboard and was diagnosed with oil contamination as a result of a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPS) blockage.

They took it to Halfords Garage who changed oil and regenerated DPS (twice) however engine management light remained with DPS error remaining. They was advised that a long drive may clear error however this did not clear it.

They now have been told that DPS may need to be replaced however this will cost around £1k

Looking into options for them - car has done about 20k miles in 6 months and has had frequent long drives so DPS blockage was a surprise.

As it’s just past 6 months can the car be rejected or returned to Dealer for repair under Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Is there any protection under Hire Purchase agreement?

Have told them to look for any guarantees or warranty as was purchased 6 months ago.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As the car was purchased over 6 months ago it would be up to the owner to prove the dpf fault was present at the time of sale. Given it has taken 6 months for the fault to arise this seems unlikely.

Whilst the current owner is doing the correct sort of use for a diesel car the previous owner may have been using it for short frequent urban journeys which is what kills the dpf.

Before condemning the dpf take it to a proper garage, Halford are notorious for not having a clue when it comes to anything technical. There are also places that can take the dpf off and clean it although with mixed results.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DPFs are a consumable, when buying a used diesel the cost of a replacement needs to be factored in to running costs.

How many miles in total has the car done?
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Its very unlikely the DPF actually needs to be replaced. Manufacturers and garages treat DPFs as consumable because as you have seen from the quote to replace it thats its pretty lucrative.

There are more and more companies now offering proper deep cleans of DPF filters. These are not the regens the garage is doing (which are totally pointless if the DPF is clogged with ash). They will take the DPF off the car and flush it out. Exact techniques vary but In simple terms they vibrate the DPF to loosen the ash and soot and flush it out with solvents. This can restore the DPF to over 95% of its original capacity meaning many years more use.

Look around for a cleaning service before paying a grand for a new one.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a 4yo car. Is it unreasonable to expect a DPF issue on a 4yo diesel? Not really.

You're assuming that it's clogged - yet the fact it's been manually regenerated after a period of long-journey use (20k in 6mo is not going to cause DPF issues) and the light has come back so quickly suggests there may be a different cause - it may be as simple as a sensor needs changing.

After 20k miles with no issue, you are going to be very, very hard-pressed to prove the fault was present at the time of sale.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    It's a 4yo car. Is it unreasonable to expect a DPF issue on a 4yo diesel? Not really.

Disagree. My car is 8 years old and on 131k. Using Forscan I had a quick look at the DPF differential pressure (the difference between the pressure at input and output) and on hard acceleration it was just 11kPa, just above 1.5PSI. It manages to do a regeneration every 600 miles or so and has no recorded failed regenerations.

I agree that it could be another problem rather than a blocked DPF filter. Split hoses from the DPF filter to the pressure sensors is a common fault on my car and it flags up a fault as a blocked DPF if its the rear one. Had that happen to me.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't say it was inevitable. I said it was not unreasonable.
  • gr1340
    gr1340 Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend at work had DPF failure on a 6 month old Insignia. He drove 30 miles each way to work so it wasn!!!8217;t due to short journeys.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Just had an engine management light come on on our car, fault code pointed to the DPF.
    As mentioned, it's a split hose. The Note has a better hose design ( metal at the DPF side) but there's still rubber in there, and it's attached to a sensor.
    Looks to be avaliable for £55 on ebay (pipe and sensor) I'd be checking/replacing that first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure