Credit Score After Living Abroad

Options
Hi - my partner was born in the UK but from the age of 24 to 41 he lived in Cyprus.
Now he mas moved back to the UK permanently but is having difficulty in getting a personal loan to purchase a car.
He has been back in the UK for 2 years. Reactivated his old bank account. Has recently been approved for a credit card. Has a more than ample PAYE salary.
But - he can't access his credit score (on clearscore or Experian) as he doesn't have a uk address for those 16 years.
How can we access his credit score so that we can start to improve it?
Thanks x

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's not his credit score he needs to check (they don't exist), but his credit files.

If he can't access them via Experian, Equifax or Call Credit, he needs to raise a query with them. It may need some manual intervention.
  • Brooksterr
    Options
    Thanks zx81...I'll give them a call tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find a way forward.
  • gionnetto
    gionnetto Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Brooksterr wrote: »
    He has been back in the UK for 2 years. Reactivated his old bank account. Has recently been approved for a credit card. Has a more than ample PAYE salary.
    But - he can't access his credit score (on clearscore or Experian) as he doesn't have a uk address for those 16 years.
    How can we access his credit score so that we can start to improve it?
    Thanks x

I have moved to the UK in 2017. Your partner can definitely access to his statutory credit reports, which are free since May 25 2018.
    Unfortunately, Noddle and Clearscore need 3 years of history - so he won't be able to access them for another year.
    Experian on the other hand is the only one who allows early access to their score, and if he do it via MSE Club he can do it for free so he can start working at it.

May I suggest he joins a credit union and try that route for a car loan?
    Your cholesterol levels are not seen, or used, by your heart and arteries, so ignore it.
    :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport