Closed Account Error

Options
Please help. My bank (nat west) closed my current account in error last month. This means that I couldn't access any money, my credit card was instantly suspended and all my Direct Debits were immediately cancelled. Although they have admitted it, they do not realise how destitute and desperate I was. My wife was just about to apply for a Visa from her home country costing £3000, my DD costing £700 as well as all my monthly bills were now non-gratis. We became very anxious, worried and even sick for weeks trying to sort it out. Resulting in multiple threats from cancelled DD companies, loss of use of my car, phone, Internet and insurances. Nat West said it could take up to a month to reverse and even though I could get cash from a branch, I realised very quickly how difficult life is without on-line payments, financial banking or shopping. I have numerous examples of their broken promises. It took over 3 weeks of continued badgering, pleading and begging to get them to sort it, with only a letter admitting their errors. What can I do? Can I claim compensation? Should I consider further action.

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Yes you can definitely claim compensation submit a complaint immediately

what you should also do is open at least one other current account with other banks so that you are not in the position of not having an account
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have made a formal complaint in writing to Natwest ?

You have a final response?

You are not satisfied?

If the above is the case, you can approach the FOS.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

If you have not yet made a formal complaint the address is

Customer Relations Manager

Bede House

11 Western Boulevard

Leicester

LE2 7EJ

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/support-centre/how-to-complain/complaints-contacts.html
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Unlike the other (Joe Pasquale voice) "I think I'm entitled to compensation" thread I commented on today, I would certainly agree that the bank's error here has caused you a fair bit of inconvenience. If it were me sitting behind the desk when you lodged a complaint, I would agree you should receive compensation in respect of:
    - Any fees or penalties incurred for non-payment or late payment of DDs
    - Extra costs for replacement transport, phone and internet
    - Covering the costs of any time taken off work to resolve the situation, phone calls to your bank, transport costs for any trips made to the bank
    Plus a goodwill payment in recognition for the distress and inconvenience caused to you.

Now, only you (and perhaps your bank) can put a figure on exactly what all that should come to. I would advise you to try your best to itemise as much of the above as possible to present to your bank an indicative picture of exactly what their error has cost you. Definitely ask them to log a formal complaint, escalate it if it can't be resolved in branch, and don't forget you have Financial Ombudsman rights as a last resort. I don't feel it will come to that though as the bank seems to be admitting liability.

In the meantime I hope you have opened a secondary bank account and are aiming to build a couple of months living expenses there as an emergency fund if something similar happens in future.
    : )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What was the reason why they stated they closed it?

There!!!8217;s more to this than what!!!8217;s being let on
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Unlike the other (Joe Pasquale voice) "I think I'm entitled to compensation" thread I commented on today, I would certainly agree that the bank's error here has caused you a fair bit of inconvenience...
    Interesting that they both concern Natwest. Not surprising though.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Carlthemedic
    Options
    They've offered me £150. What should I do...?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They've offered me £150. What should I do...?

I'd ask for more. This was their mistake and it had serious potential - and importantly, reasonably foreseeable - consequences for both your wife's visa and your credit rating in that your bills went unpaid. That they stonewalled you on dealing with it and made you chase them up for three weeks is worse.

I don't usually say "yeah that's too little" but I think £150 is a lowball offer for this and you would be within your rights to ask for more and if they refuse go to FOS. I'd say at least double that is reasonable.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd endorse the approach recommended by Flobberchops in post #4 above, i.e. calculate a meaningful value for each of the different impacts their error and subsequent delayed reaction caused, plus something reasonably substantial on top to reflect stress, inconvenience, etc.

Also worth checking how your credit files look and ensuring that NatWest accept responsibility for correcting any effects there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure