Credit card - Unqualified financial advise given, admission letter, want to invove ombudsman

Options
2»

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi blueball

I think you will struggle to find a sample letter for this specific scenario. However the FOS certainly does not expect anyone to seek legal advice to write a letter of complaint to them. You will simply need to outline what has happened, why you are unhappy and what you would like to happen now. If the FOS have further questions they will get in touch with you.

You have 6 months from the date of the final response from the credit card company to make your complaint to the FOS. Good luck with it.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    blueball wrote: »
    I was perfectly able to make the payments and they told me to convert the arrangement to pay into a default stating that it would be "better in the long run". The call has been recorded and I have an admission in the dead lock letter.

Make sure that you get you story straight. These matters have a habit of rapidly unwinding once contradictions are noted.
    In 2016 I ran into financial difficulty and phoned up asking for a lower APR whilst I pay back
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am unable to get a mortgage because of the impact these events have had on my credit file but that's irrelevant, I'm hoping someone can tell me with the procedure for dealing with the FOS.

No, you're unable to get a mortgage because you're not credit worthy and don't have enough income which is why you defaulted on the credit card agreement. Even if the credit card issue hadn't happened it is highly unlikely you'd have got a mortgage anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The OP's story is in pure unicorn fantasy territory.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe I've worded this wrong. I want to "go after" the credit card company because they "advised" me onto the AP and then again onto the default.

'Going after' the CC company will not give you the outcome that you want. IMO you will only be more frustrated when the emotion effort you put into this gets you nowhere.

I've since found out that telephone operators are not allowed to give financial advise.

They haven't given you financial advice. They have given you options in respect of paying what you owe them in the face of you financial difficulties. You are clinging onto the fact that this communication constituted financial advice. It did not.

I am unable to get a mortgage because of the impact these events have had on my credit file but that's irrelevant, I'm hoping someone can tell me with the procedure for dealing with the FOS.

Write to them. In they feel that you have a case and that it comes under their remit they will deal with it.

I contacted a solicitor but they want £1,450 to draft up a letter to the FOS. Seems like a lot of money for a letter.

I appreciate that your credit standing has been tarnished and you want to achieve some emotional satisfaction by someone else being punished for your situation. However, the fact is that your inability to meet your obligation to pay the CC is the real cause and you need to accept that. If you were able to make the payments the you would not have accepted the offer of an arrangement to pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure