The Debt Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Fabulous inspiration jamesbrownontheroad! Huge congratulations and thanks for telling us!

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Alexandra6
    Options
    a. The date of your lightbulb moment. 01/09/2016
    b. Debts at their highest

£3851

c. Debt-Free Date

09/11/17
    d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    Food and take away bills can be streamlined.

Debts really need to be paid off and can see value of money have not just it being a number. Only then can spend it!!!!

Good luck to everyone. I worked all my salary spare (not going out, £200 to spend) on paying it off and it feels amazing. To be honest I’ve had outside help as well for other debt so I’m really lucky. But I’m really pleased with this that I did pay off. It’s the only way.
    e. Links to the MSE guides that helped you
    f. Which forum threads helped you

This one and debt free diaries

Everyone is on the right track. It can be difficult not seeing the results. Sometimes the debt might be just too high and you’re never going to pay it off with monthly demands and outside help is needed. But the posts on the forum everyone is on the right track just hope it happens for everyone ASAP.
    g. And if you had a debt diary on the Debt-Free Wannabe board (DFW),
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,466 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello everyone. Here to share some good news, and to offer encouragement to anyone following in my footsteps.

I left home in 2001 and started out at university. Inevitably I had a student bank account with a gradually increasing free overdraft facility. This is important because it got me into a bad habit at the very start of my independent life. I pretty much lived in that overdraft for the next ten years, with grants, student loan installments, and part-time work only ever topping up but never killing off the debt. This continued through two years out, a two-year postgraduate degree and a three-year doctorate.

A couple of credit cards followed, never more than two at a time, usually sliding debt from one interest-free account to another as the deals expired.

I met and married an immigrant, and therefore traveled a bit more than my bank manager might have thought sensible. She moved to the UK for study, and we eked out a pretty basic living until my first proper job in 2012.

At that point, I had a lot of unsecured personal debt. Maybe not as much as others who are sharing their stories here, but a four-figure sum that I never quite conquered. Since 2012, with the exception of just one six month period, I've worked full time in salaried employment since then.

With the help of Noddle, I've been able to look back at all my open and closed financial accounts and see exactly how much I paid every month to every account. Some balance transfers skew the total (i.e. I paid a lot onto one credit card using another, so if I total all the monthly payments up it ends up duplicating the cost.

But as of this month, I am proud to say that since 2011 I have successfully cleared £35,604 of unsecured personal debt, including the original sum plus all associated interest.

It's all gone. :beer:

For the last three years, out of a pay cheque of around £1,900-2,200, I must have sent £400-700 a month to pay off my debt. It's been a long tedious slog. But it's over now.

To those who are following in my footsteps, be assured that you can do it. It will be slow, it will be boring but it will happen. There will be no quick rewards or quick wins. But you will get there.

Having the right people around you helps enormously. My wife has been strict and forbidden me from easy lapses of discipline whenever something tempting comes up. You don't have to be in a relationship for this to happen. Trust the many debt support agencies and charities and talk to them. If you have a friend or family member, turn to them for moral support, maybe even financial discipline. Yes, there's a small chance that they will judge you, but more likely than that they will be honored that you have shown your trust in them.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading your story here very soon. :T

Massive well done Dr :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • perfectxmess
    Options
    Lightbulb moment: 3rd February 2017
    Debts at their highest: just under £13k (£7117 at my LBM) - all credit cards
    Debt free date: 23rd September 2017
    Forum threads that helped me: all the DFW diaries - so motivating and inspirational
    Pearl(s) of wisdom: Sacrifice now to win later! Don't wait for someone else to come and magically pay if all off for you!

Increase your income in any way you can - overtime / 2nd job / ebay / collect your spare change / shop less etc

Stay motivated and constantly remind yourself of why you're doing it. I watched a sh*t ton of youtube videos about budgeting & other peoples' debt free journeys. It really helps to see other people going through the same thing and succeeding.

Congratulations to everyone else who has made it to debt freedom, and good luck to all still on the journey. You WILL get there and it will be so worth it! X
  • livinginhope
    Options
    Lightbulb moment : march 2006

Debt at highest : £102k

Debt free : October 2017

Pearl of wisdom : check your insurance and don't skimp on necessities for luxuries,no point in a bath bomb if you have no bath .
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    We are now debt free:T:T We have paid off our £10000 loan in 4 years and 7 months.

We now are mortgage and debt free and do not need to work. I am 52 and OH 58.
    Our lightbulb moment came when we OH endured a 4hour commute from London to Kent that would normally take him 40minutes. He hated his job and I was running back and forth to look after my Dad in his home. We decided then to downsize and move, taking my Dad with us.
    Jump forward and we have been in Shropshire for 4 years and 7 months:j
    We live very simply and very happily, we find pleasure in not spending money on stupid things. We have a wonderful frugal life and try and make every penny work. We use a cash purse system and save up and pay for everything. When we moved we didn’t have the money for my dream cooker so we used a camping gas stove for 2.5 years with a halogen oven and microwave. It was fun to see what meals you could do using so little.
    I have privileged life now I believe as I can truely see what I really need and would never buy something I just want without researching first. Others may see our life as hard as we seem to go without the norms for a lot of people as we don’t have a very big income, but we are much happier than we have ever been.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,466 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    We are now debt free:T:T We have paid off our £10000 loan in 4 years and 7 months.

We now are mortgage and debt free and do not need to work. I am 52 and OH 58.
    Our lightbulb moment came when we OH endured a 4hour commute from London to Kent that would normally take him 40minutes. He hated his job and I was running back and forth to look after my Dad in his home. We decided then to downsize and move, taking my Dad with us.
    Jump forward and we have been in Shropshire for 4 years and 7 months:j
    We live very simply and very happily, we find pleasure in not spending money on stupid things. We have a wonderful frugal life and try and make every penny work. We use a cash purse system and save up and pay for everything. When we moved we didn’t have the money for my dream cooker so we used a camping gas stove for 2.5 years with a halogen oven and microwave. It was fun to see what meals you could do using so little.
    I have privileged life now I believe as I can truely see what I really need and would never buy something I just want without researching first. Others may see our life as hard as we seem to go without the norms for a lot of people as we don’t have a very big income, but we are much happier than we have ever been.

What a lovely post.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • WorldTraveller_2
    Options
    Only just joined MSE, we are now completely debt free having paid off our mortgage a couple of weeks ago. We have no other debts of any kind as we pay our credit cards off monthly and intend to keep it that way, looking forward to building up our savings and going on holidays!
  • rootofallevil
    Options
    Hi All, not been on here for a while, became debt free 2 years ago after a lightbulb moment in 2006.
    Had £87k of debt when we registered with Payplan and an oustanding mortgage of £46k.
    A redundancy and a lump sum from my pension plus a reduced full and final settlement to my debtors finally lifted the rock from my chest.
    Without the help and support of both my family, Payplan and countless people on this forum, I dread to think where I'd be now.
    Pearl:Talk to people, even if its the people you owe money to,citizens advice,family, anyone. Most people WILL want to listen and help. Just don't bury your head in the sand, persevere, work hard and save at every opportunity and most of all, stay positive.
    My biggest driver was seeing my debt free date getting closer all the time.
    Thank you one and all for help, advice and encouragement along the way.
  • SnowBallBunny
    Options
    This thread is amazing! I'll return here for inspiration. Congratulations to everyone here! I look forward to posting. :T:T:T

I'll also find the nearest park and do a debt-free scream - Dave Ramsey style! Bless you all. :)
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/£5,322.56 Debit Card £5,000/£2975.3 Credit Card 2 £1200/0 Tax Bill £750/£0 Library Fine £90/£0 Accountancy Bill £720/£0 Cancelled Art Project Donation £15/£0
    Total £13,199/£8298

A SnowballBunny, hopping my way to Financial Freedom. :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport