Marks and Spencers Sparks card?

Options

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I confess that it is one of the daftest reward cards around. I got offers of bridal wear earlier this week and I am a 67 yearly male who has been married for 45 years.

I constantly get offers on foods I've never eaten, never will eat, on clothes I have never purchased from them, on kids clothes (I have no children) on just about everything....but not what I actually purchase!

I fed this back to them, along with the question on why I had reached enough points to get invited to "money cannot buy" events and low and behold...an event appeared!

I went to the event and no sooner had I seen the crowd than I was regretting having made the time- let alone journey! It was full of a crowd of people twice my age- and I am not at all considered young!

There was a prize draw...for a bottle of....fizzy orange squash, and the event had a strange M&S man standing in the corner like some sort of under paid security guard- I've not even seen a security guard looking so miserable! I did wonder what he was doing there.

It was mentioned we could feed back on our experience of the event on the post-it notes supplied but the lady next to me took mine (and hers and the empty seat next to hers) when I asked if I could have my copy, she said I should ask a member of staff...I don't know why she felt she had to take all those leaflets and post it notes and I didn't want to ask tbh. I felt like a right idiot for being at the event at all- it was far from where I lived, I don't visit that store but had been told it was a "money cannot buy" event.

Just a warning to anyone else getting a ticket for these sorts of events- please don't assume it is what it says on the ticket!
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Ziggy_Stardust Posts: 1,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Got to laugh at the events I keep getting invited to a wine tasting one but the store is just off the motorway and most people would have to drive there, I certainly do, I did email to tell them but they really couldn't have cared less.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well hate to buck the trend but I love my sparks card. I always get offers and discounts and use them. Never had a problem with M&S deliveries arrive on time. Happy happy
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Are any men members? Do you get offers tailored towards men? All I ever get is women's wear offers in general and I also buy clothes for my OH, so it's quite frustrating to never be offered discount.

Out of interest, does anyone know when they might next have a discount, even 20% would help? Need to buy him a coat! TIA
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,898 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Are any men members? Do you get offers tailored towards men? All I ever get is women's wear offers in general and I also buy clothes for my OH, so it's quite frustrating to never be offered discount.

Out of interest, does anyone know when they might next have a discount, even 20% would help? Need to buy him a coat! TIA

Yes, my husband is a Sparks member (we both joined for that reason)

He often gets £5 off shirts, £10 off Linen, £5 off jeans etc etc
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am a real fan of the Sparks card!

The offers I get sent are definitely tailored to me....in the Food Hall offers, I usually get 2 0r 3 offers of a decent discount off things I buy regularly, and then 1 or 2 of things I haven't tried, but are generally the sort of thing I 'might' be interested in......the Clothing Weeks are much more hit and miss....but then I don't buy clothing that often...I di take advantage of the 20% off nightwear a few months ago...and am hoping for a similar offer when the new PJs come in before winter!....One week was offers on make-up and perfume and jewellery - absolutely no use because of allergies, but you can't blame M&S for that!

The bonus offers on the card are terrific....£5 off vouchers....get an extra side dish free with the £ 10 meal deal....last week I had an offer for having 4 meat/fish packs for £12 (the in-store offer was 3 for £10)...I split that offer with Mum and we both got 2 packs for the freezer.

An on top of that, every time I use the card it benefits Shelter.

My only minor gripe with M&S is that I live in a one-horse-dorp and our M&S doesn't have anything like the full range (clothes can be ordered, but not general items from the food hall) ...and we have no caf! either!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am a real fan of the Sparks card!

The offers I get sent are definitely tailored to me....in the Food Hall offers, I usually get 2 0r 3 offers of a decent discount off things I buy regularly, and then 1 or 2 of things I haven't tried, but are generally the sort of thing I 'might' be interested in......the Clothing Weeks are much more hit and miss....but then I don't buy clothing that often...I di take advantage of the 20% off nightwear a few months ago...and am hoping for a similar offer when the new PJs come in before winter!....One week was offers on make-up and perfume and jewellery - absolutely no use because of allergies, but you can't blame M&S for that!

The bonus offers on the card are terrific....£5 off vouchers....get an extra side dish free with the £ 10 meal deal....last week I had an offer for having 4 meat/fish packs for £12 (the in-store offer was 3 for £10)...I split that offer with Mum and we both got 2 packs for the freezer.

An on top of that, every time I use the card it benefits Shelter.

My only minor gripe with M&S is that I live in a one-horse-dorp and our M&S doesn't have anything like the full range (clothes can be ordered, but not general items from the food hall) ...and we have no caf! either!

Either your alone in finding the offers suit you or I'm alone in rarely ever finding an offer that suits me! I get offers I'm never going to use, month after month and maybe once in 4-5 months, an offer that saves me 20% which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact I'd had to wait so long to save anything at all! I've never had £5 off anything sent to me- apart from the T-shirt offer which when I did try to use it, wouldn't work and even getting an assistant and then a manager to look at the offer I'd selected (simply said £5 off ANY t-shirt) no one could see the problem in my choice or why it wouldn't go through. In the end I gave up and left without a t-shirt, a bit annoyed at the wasted half hour trying to get it sorted out.

I would far rather just have one single offer sent to me that actually applied to me rather than having a selection of 6 to pick 5 from and then not using any of them because none are on my radar, I've gotten to the point now where I quite often don't select anything because I can't see any point in selecting something I know I wont use.

I got to the top tier about 6 months or more ago and yet I've not found anything worth the extra tier- I was invited to what was described as a look at the new season, but was so far out of my range (as in, everyone was at least 30 years older than me and I'm not that young) and had not enough seating either. I had put aside time to attend thinking they'd look at what I purchase and my age and etc to have selected me for an event which was not at a store I normally ever visit, but it appeared not.

I don't know who does their marketing, or why it seems to work so well for you and not for me, but it's fair to say that I don't think it's possible to say the card is either fantastic or pointless from either of our experiences combined!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My Sparks offers are ok-ish. They cycle between a food fortnight and a non-food fortnight. The food offers I get are pretty much based on what I buy in there frequently and I do generally use them. I also like the odd £5 off that I get. Non-food offers are a bit more hit-and-miss as I rarely buy clothes from M&S, but I do get offers on things like perfume, menswear, socks and stuff which I do occasionally use. I live in a town with two branches of M&S and at least two other 'Simply Food' outlets, but I haven't ever been invited to a single event, despite having enough points. As loyalty cards go Sparks is probably on a par with Nectar in terms of usefulness and benefits, but tbh all of the cards seem to be offering less and less nowadays. The exception (for me) seems to be Waitrose, I'm getting quite a lot of money off coupons from them lately.
  • Elphie888
    Options
    This seems to be the worst Loyalty card going. tried to use 2 of my so called offers this week neither worked. rather than cause a scene at busy checkout just payed full amount. Unhelpful assistant told me to "go read the small print" which I have and feel I met the criteria for discount.
    Don't bother with this one. Interested to know if others have problems too?
  • Ziggy_Stardust
    Options
    Elphie888 wrote: »
    This seems to be the worst Loyalty card going. tried to use 2 of my so called offers this week neither worked. rather than cause a scene at busy checkout just payed full amount. Unhelpful assistant told me to "go read the small print" which I have and feel I met the criteria for discount.
    Don't bother with this one. Interested to know if others have problems too?

Have you still got your receipt? I'd phone up and complain and ask them to sort it out for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure