How To Tell A Work Coach I Was Sacked When Making My Claim

Options
Hi there I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on this matter. Tomorrow I will be applying for Universal Credit and I’ve heard that usually on the application they will ask about employment history and why you left etc. I was basically let go of during my 3 month probation for very very minor reasons; my manager put it down for me not suiting the job role. There was no misconduct of any kind. She praised me a lot. Tbh, I think the real reason I was sacked was because of cutback problems and because I didn’t want my hours decided (I was on a 12 hour contract and didn’t want it reduced anymore).

My question is this; how should I word this on my application and in person to the work coach?! Because I know they’re the ones that pass the information on and depending on how you’ve explained it, you can be sanctioned....I’ve heard. But I must add I have been sacked 6 months, so it has been a very long time.

I was going to say something along the lines of ‘I was Let Go of before the end of my 3 month probation period because my employer felt I didn’t suit the role’. Then when they ask for further details I’m going to have to be truthful and say I don’t know the full reason they thought this. All I remember my manager saying was about my speed with some tasks. But the thing was I wasn’t fully trained anyways. I was employed during the Christmas season when it was very busy and they couldn’t give me full intense training (it was my first ever job). Btw it was a retail job if that matters.

Please, any advice you give me would be much appreciated. I just want to try and avoid getting sanctioned as much as I can, because I don’t believe I should be sanctioned for such really really minor reasons that weren’t fully explained to me tbh either. But I know this is down to a decision maker but still.

Comments

• MusicGirl97
    Options
    * I didn’t want my hours reduced I meant to say*
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Simply tell them that your probation was terminated because they didn't think you were suited to the job. If you believe it may have been because they had to make cutbacks anyway, tell the work coach that too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    Hi

I don't know where you got your advice from about the initial application but it isn't quite so - when you make the application online it doesn't ask at all for how you left/lost your job - (you can even make a UC application and it asks if you have a job already set up to go to which I was actually pleasantly surprised to see you never got that on JSA) that said it was well over a week's wait to get into the Jobcentre on UC (very common to have to wait round here) so you have time to think and by which time ironically I had already sorted something even as a temporary measure in the time spent queuing to discuss UC - I was fully prepared to fight a sanction as I found I started with a new employer who tried to pay £7.50 (I'm well past 25+) instead of £7.83 and also didn't pay wages at all. So I was well prepared to show a bank statement to this effect as in my mind any UC paperwork would actually say you are expected to take a job for £7.83 minimum.....

I actually found the initial UC process completely 'hands off' and so something not to panic about immediately - just don't delay get that claim started and take it from there. I really would not wait or be put off.

In the end nill pennies from the job centre or the previous employer for me. It was a nightmare to cancel any appointment, phone lines horrendous even at 8am! To cancel forthcoming appointment in the end I needed to put a note on the journal as all I could do which I think could have been better.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If it was 6 months ago I don’t think you need worry anyway. Even if you had given up your job I think the sanction would be 91 days but this would be from the date you left so you would already be clear of it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MusicGirl97
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts they!!!8217;ve been very helpful and I!!!8217;m glad to hear they don!!!8217;t really ask about past employment, at least not on the application. Yeah I!!!8217;m not going to put it off any longer, I!!!8217;ve been applying for jobs for 6 months since I lost my job and I!!!8217;ve not had one response. So I need some help which is what the job centre is for I suppose.

Just to ask; once I apply for UC, do I need to ring my local job centre for an appointment? Or will they contact me?!
  • calcotti
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    Calcotti is essentially correct. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. You probably would have been fine claiming straight away, being let go during probation because you weren't suitable isn't the same as misconduct.. and a retail company finishing temp staff after Christmas... yea

I wouldn't take being let go from that job bother you too much. It's common for retail to want to clear their roster after christmas, going into the quietist period of the year. They probably didn't tell you much because you performed fine and they were just cutting costs.

When you have made the application you should be given a number to call for your first appointment. Good luck and hopefully they will be able to help you :)
  • MusicGirl97
    Options
    Thank you calcotti and indeedaname for your post reply. Yeah tbh I should have claimed straight away because being let go of for suitability during your probation period, is nowhere near minor misconduct or any other misconduct for that matter. Yeah my mother actually said the exact same thing, when I was let go of she said ‘they have probably done it because they only really needed you for the busy Christmas period’. I also noticed that my manager kept mentioning the fact I was turning 21 soon and my wage would go up. I was only on a measly 5.58 an hour and it would then jump to 7.38 an hour.

Then soon after I turned 21 that’s when she mentioned maybe cutting my hours and I said it wouldn’t be beneficial for me. Then she didn’t mention anything more. A few weeks after that I was let go of. It wasn’t a temporary position but the more and more I piece things togerher, I think she only ever wanted me temporarily. Because when I was sacked, just beforehand she tried to say that I had left the shop floor unattended and I quickly put her right and said ‘rewind The footage back and you will see me passing ladders to another member of staff’. I literally opened the stockroom door and the other member of staff took them off me. My body never left the shop floor. When I said all that she just quickly changed the subject. So it just goes to show how far she was willing to go to try and untruthfully proof I was ‘insultable’ during the actual sacking. Which is why extremely petty. When all they really needed to do was put up an advert for a temp and then that would have been fine. Because it’s weird how she was going nothing but praise me, but then she made sure to sack me during my probation so she didn’t have to give me much notice at all, and she’s made sure to only have me working At £7.38 an hour for a few weeks.

I know I shouldn’t have seen such documents but I actually accidentally found reports of cutbacks whilst I was searching for a stock replenishment list on her office desk. So I know for sure the ‘suitability’ factor wasn’t the real reason I was sacked.

Anyways enough of my ranting and rambling, thank you all for your guidance and help. I’m going to definitely apply for UC tomorrow though. I forgot I lent my laptop to my friend for the weekend so I won’t be able to get it until tomorrow !!!128514;
  • Nullboris
    Nullboris Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    remember with UC the first payment takes about five weeks and then they only pay you monthly. I just had my first UC interview today, went smoothly, not a lot of hassle. Just get in there and do it, and never ever miss an appointment, otherwise you'll go hungry for a fortnite.
  • calcotti
    Options
    Nullboris wrote: »
    remember with UC the first payment takes about five weeks and then they only pay you monthly.

You can ask for an advance but if you do bear in mind it is effectively a loan and you will pay it back by monthly deductions from your future UC payments over the next year.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/get-advance-payment/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure