PPI Claim - Halifax Mortgage

Options
Hi
I'm a Newbie on the Forum.
Some weeks ago I used Resolver to submit a claim to Halifax re: PPI on a mortgage I had with them starting in 1997. The mortgage is paid now.
I did not have any paperwork.
Halifax did write back to me to advise that they were investigating.

Tomorrow someone from Lloyds, I believe, is going to telephone me to discuss my 'allegations'. Why do I feel like I've committed a crime? :)

This mortgage was for my first property, I was in my twenties, I met with the adviser by myself it was all very daunting. Here's what I do remember I was told I had to have this payment protection in case I was too ill to work that way the mortgage would be paid. If I could go back and slap myself I would because I worked in the NHS and the H.R policy in the hospital I worked at was, if I was off sick for 6 months I received full pay, if I was still off sick for a further 6 months I received half pay. In both instances I would still have been able to afford the mortgage repayments. I don't recall it being mentioned that the policy also covered issues like unemployment but it must have.

I'm just getting stressed (that's an understatement!) about this telephone call tomorrow. I wondered if anyone knew how these usually went? I never missed any payments on the mortgage and was never in arrears. I feel like I need to be very careful what I say. I was going to ask, how long the policy would have paid out for if I had been sick? Because if it was 6 or 12 months then I definitely didn't need it. I didn't become unemployed either.

I just wondered if anyone knew what I might be asked?

Any information would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What has lloyd s got to do with it. ?

You can remember a conversation from 20myears ago ???

You have to prove a miss sale, but you have nothing in writing .

Tell the truth as you definitely remember it.

Lastly, don't hold your breath
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tomorrow someone from Lloyds, I believe, is going to telephone me to discuss my 'allegations'. Why do I feel like I've committed a crime?

You are the one making the allegations of wrongdoing. So, what else do you expect to call it?
    because I worked in the NHS and the H.R policy in the hospital I worked at was, if I was off sick for 6 months I received full pay, if I was still off sick for a further 6 months I received half pay. In both instances I would still have been able to afford the mortgage repayments. I don't recall it being mentioned that the policy also covered issues like unemployment but it must have.

Whilst Halifax are a soft touch, it is worth noting that the FOS have been rejecting MPPI complaints with NHS workers with 12 months sick pay. So, its not a nailed on complaint reason with MPPI. Its a very good reason with loan and credit card PPI though.
    I was going to ask, how long the policy would have paid out for if I had been sick? Because if it was 6 or 12 months then I definitely didn't need it. I didn't become unemployed either.

You may say that but it doesnt mean it is reality.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What if you were ill for 18 months with no income? What if you lost your job?

The reality is that MPPI is a well designed product that can save your home. Short term benefits, even generous NHS ones won't cover you forever and most people believe they could survive paying bills etc for 6 months on half pay but the reality is somewhat different - savings would be gone, bills mount up etc; let alone what would happen if you lost your job and had no income.

Not claiming on a policy doesn't mean it was miss-sold
  • Toria01
    Toria01 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments which I will take on board.

To answer a couple of queries.

Lloyds? Yes. I had a message left on my answering machine stating it was in regard to my PPI claim with Halifax and a number was left for me to ring. When I phoned it was automated for a few minutes and stated Lloyds. I put the phone down as I thought I had misdialled and I rang again. I will clearly get to know tomorrow.

Remembering parts of a conversation from 20 years ago. Absolutely buying my first home was a significant life event for me.

Thank you for all the information.

I will post with details of what happens tomorrow as it may help someone else.

I forgot to say I have had two other successful PPI claims and I used Resolver for both of those.
  • HGA
    HGA Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to this so may not be following the rules. Forgive me is that's the case. I am interested in what the forum might say in relation to the following...

I was given a mortgage back in 2000 (I still have it) when I didn't earn any money at all but received court-ordered maintenance. If I had PPI on my mortgage, (and I think I did) surely it would have been mis-sold as I wasn't earning? I made the payments not my ex-husband who was earning the money...
    I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I guess my first port of call would be to see when the PPI started. I now work in education and get full sick pay for 6 months then half pay beyond that so I'm not sure that I even need it now.

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am new to this so may not be following the rules. Forgive me is that's the case. I am interested in what the forum might say in relation to the following...

There are not many rules but etiquette is that you should start your own thread on your subject and not post your questions on someone elses thread. This is because your questions could take the original posters conversation thread off topic and leave their query unanswered or create threads where people end up talking about multiple things and become hard to track.

Copy and paste your question onto a new thread and you will get answers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure