Close or Keep Open

Options
I have just been accepted for a Halifax credit card with 25 months 0% on balance transfers.

I am taking the balances from my Aqua and Vanquis cards across to this card. The totals of the two cards and transfer fees will come to about £8k. The limit I have been accepted for with the Halifax card is £9k.

My question is should I now cancel the other two cards?

The Vanquis card has a limit of £3500 and the Aqua a limit of £5500.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's no right or wrong answer to this really, but there are two schools of thought:

Keep them - the higher your total available credit, the better your utilisation ratio (used v available) is.

Ditch them - the lower your total available credit, the better your affordability ratio (available v income) is.

On balance, the former is often better, but it's a generalisation without a greater understanding of your full financial circumstances....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Keep them as backups
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Do you have any other credit cards?
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,320 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No. Just those three.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 12 November 2019 at 5:36PM
    Options
    So if you close them you will be leaving yourself with only one credit card and less than £1000 available to spend. Your utilisation will be around 89%. Your total available credit will be a low £9000. I assume you have the 25 month balance transfer card which also has a 12 month 0% offer on purchases but after the 12 months you would not have any card to use for purchases without paying interest.

If you don't close them your utilisation will be around 45% (still relatively high) Your total available credit will be a more respectable but still relatively low £18,000 . You will have two cards to use for your day to day spending which you can repay each month and not pay interest.

What do you think you should do?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    My general advice is to keep them open, provided you are disciplined enough to not use them to run yourself into debt. Generally higher credit limits are seen as a positive, particularly if you keep your overall utilisation low.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    So if you close them you will be leaving yourself with only one credit card and less than £1000 available to spend. Your utilisation will be around 89%. Your total available credit will be a low £9000. I assume you have the 25 month balance transfer card which also has a 12 month 0% offer on purchases but after the 12 months you would not have any card to use for purchases without paying interest.

If you don't close them your utilisation will be around 45% (still relatively high) Your total available credit will be a more respectable but still relatively low £18,000 . You will have two cards to use for your day to day spending which you can repay each month and not pay interest.

What do you think you should do?

We don't tend to spend on the credit cards day to day. That is taken care of via our current account.

We had an unintended house move early this year which has hit the credit card balances heavily. We are glad we did move but equally we will be glad when the credit card balances have gone back to zero.

Switching the balances to one 0% card will enable us to be still paying the same amount of the balance each month but saving £165 in interest payments!

Vanquis have this morning raised the credit limit on that card from £3.5k to £4k which I suspect is linked to Halifax requesting the balance transfer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Vanquis have this morning raised the credit limit on that card from £3.5k to £4k which I suspect is linked to Halifax requesting the balance transfer.

The two aren't linked.

Vanquis run the selections for limit increases a long way in advance, with last minute checks for exclusions only.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure