Constant Attendance Allowance

Options
Whilst just browsing online today I came across an item about Constant Attendance Allowance. So Ive been on the GOV.UK site checking it out as my husband is disabled and gets Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit so I was trying to see if he may be eligible to claim.

Im confused by the criteria which says 'You must be 100% disabled based on a medical examination'.

What constitutes 100% disabled?

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Whilst just browsing online today I came across an item about Constant Attendance Allowance. So Ive been on the GOV.UK site checking it out as my husband is disabled and gets Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit so I was trying to see if he may be eligible to claim.

Im confused by the criteria which says 'You must be 100% disabled based on a medical examination'.

It means that he won't be able to claim Constant Attendance allowance unless his IIDB is assessed as 100%, there's different levels of IIDB, what level of award does he have? It starts at 20%. https://www.gov.uk/industrial-injuries-disablement-benefit/what-youll-get

If he doesn't have this level of award and he doesn't claim DLA/PIP and he's under state pension age then he should look at claiming PIP.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2019 at 7:52PM
    Options
    From your other posts he already gets PIP, although Ido not know at what rate. Any Constance Attendance Allowance would reduce the amount of PIP received, or, if more, the CAA would replace the PIP.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »

Note also https://www.gov.uk/constant-attendance-allowance/eligibility
    Your entitlement to Constant Attendance Allowance will automatically be considered at the time of your medical examination for IIDB if a 100% assessment of your disability is being considered.

Having said that I have heard that some people eligible for CAA do not claim it because they get help from a solicitor to claim IIDB but when the CAA claim forms are received they don’t return them.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure