PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £18.55 of approved foods, it didn't charge me postage tho so i'm expecting them to come back and charge me more, and i'm hoping they don't just cancel my order got loads tho and went halfers with my mum on postage :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • supersally01
    Options
    Just came on to update siggi, and add the butchers meat delivery that I had on Sat.
    Spent £35, on 12 eggs, 1lb gammon, 1lb sausage, 1.5 lb topside, 1lb bacon. Also got 500g chicken breast, steak shoulder and 1kg mince. This will last us ages, and the delivery was free. Quality seems good and locally sourced, ham is nice and dry cured, not that wet stuff from the supermarkets. Eggs are Local, free range. This together with the L!DL shop is working out better for us, than T@SCO. The kids have loved all the fresh fruit, I usually cannot afford this from MR T.
    Roast beef for lunch, with HM sausage rolls for tea. Really enjoying this challenge, booked all my work men to replace my en-suite on 18 April. Cannot wait! and cannot believe it has been funded from GC! Keep going guys, as you are my mentors! May be able to afford an xmas holiday if no major setbacks! Would be nice to visit Wales to see my NOK, so will see.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    did a shop on friday was supposed to last at least a week all the treats are gone all the pizzas and i got 4 we usually do pizza on friday night and keep a couple in case kids need too do something easy they wont use gas oven unless i turn it on and then tell them its ready, lazy or what? Need to add all little shops together and see whats left over next couple of weeks

never got chance to sort the 2nd purse,but will work something out eventually need to reorganise my direct debits they are all bunched up not good when nothing left in bank and overdraft maxed out on both accounts thought feb was bad looks like march is worse oh well if it comes to it i'll just cancel all of them and hopefully reset them on more practical days i got sk* tv package reduced to half price for 6 months and all because i rang to cancel and go to frees*t cos it was less , i even got to keep the same packages i had and it's not tied i can still cancel just 30 days notice cant cancel anything else till june then dec and jan i just want to get level and stay level still got to work out how i'm gona top leccy meter this week

I know it doesn't help right now, but I posted the other day about changing my accounts around. I now have a bills account that I don't spend money from (don't even have a card for it, just manage it online). All my bills go from there. On payday, I transfer enough money over to that account to cover all the bills. If there's a bill that's yearly, I'll put enough of it in, that I can cover it when it comes out. Eg I have a magazine subscription that's £20 every 6 months, so I put in £3.50 ish every month for it. What this actually means, is that anything left in my bank account after payday is clear money, to use for food, petrol, entertainment etc. I sleep so much better now, because I know the bills have all been paid - I used to get caught out, thinking I had £100 left, go to the cinema and eat out, then have a direct debit of £80 go out that I couldn't cover. It took me a while to get organised, but it's the best time I've ever spent. (I also did lots of dd swaps, eg changed energy suppliers, tv package etc!). I know that doesn't put electricity in your home this week, but it may help you later on. :grouphug:xx
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2011 at 1:05PM
    Options
    hamish222 wrote: »
    Can I ask how do you cook your brisket in slow cooker. I am sure I have a large brisket beef lurking in freezer. I have only cooked stews in slow cooker never whole joints. I also have a pork joint and chicken in freezer, how best to do them in slow cooker as well.

Thanks

My all time fave for brisket in the sc is to just throw it in without browning with a chopped onion and a can of guinness (minus a slurp or two):D

Blend the juices and onion afterwards to make a lovely gravy that thickens well with a small amount of cornflour. This also makes the most fantastic pies. Taste the gravy once its blended and if its a bit strong tasting dissolve half a teaspoon of sugar into it and mix well, the gravy does mellow once its finished cooking and been stood a while - freezes really well too as do the pies.

Put chunks of meat in a dish and pour some of the gravy over it, add lightly cooked veg if you like and top with a pastry crust. This makes a to die for pie that tastes fantastic.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • redkids1972
    redkids1972 Posts: 417 Forumite
    Options
    Havent posted much lately but lukrked about a bit:D Still on target and did a sweep of shops yesterday to get all the best offers. did Morrison's, Lidl, co-op. M and S and a Netto one earlier in the week. Will have to total up additional spends but doing OK. My cupboards are full and have loads of stuff bar milk and bread which can do 2 weeks. Im so busy with work I doubt Ill be off out shopping for a while:j
    Although Im onboard now I can wait till May when Ill have time to up the anty so to speak Im planning on giving Baking a try :rotfl:
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • sorting_myself_out
    Options
    First shop of the month today....£26.04!! Freezer quite full now and meals planned for the week!! Hopefully i can stay out of the supermarkets and away from the offers:D!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • janie-h
    janie-h Posts: 78 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 2:03AM
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    just to add to the very good advice from Cutiepie, we have a weekly meal plan thread you might like to look at for inspiration and you might find something useful in the 101 Meal Planning for Dummies thread

there's a link in the front page index to a meal planning article too

Here's my meal plan on the monthly meal plans thread ;)

Thanks for that!

It took a little while to realise that you didn't have more than seven days in a week :rotfl: - just a selection of recipes that you could cook. E.G. Monday would be a chicken recipe, Tuesday pork, Wed pasta and so on.

What a good idea :T, I think I could manage this. And I'm fully stocked up so will give it a try.

Also like the idea of the site (that someone put links to, sorry can't remember who) where you enter your ingredients and it comes up with a recipe.

Been looking at the slowcooker recipe thread and there's a great link to a site - chocolate fudge pudding :D :drool: Need I say more. Will try and work out how to insert the link... http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Hope that has worked?

Been shop hopping, but too tired to update at the mo... see you all tomorrow. night all;)

OOOOOh, I think the link worked! By the way... can anyone tell me how to multi quote? So many great ideas and people on here that I'd like to quote but if I did the whole thread would be full of my posts!
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Doing very badly this month - more than a third of the budget is already spent!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    janie-h wrote: »
    Thanks for that!

It took a little while to realise that you didn't have more than seven days in a week :rotfl: - just a selection of recipes that you could cook. E.G. Monday would be a chicken recipe, Tuesday pork, Wed pasta and so on.

What a good idea :T, I think I could manage this. And I'm fully stocked up so will give it a try.

Also like the idea of the site (that someone put links to, sorry can't remember who) where you enter your ingredients and it comes up with a recipe.

Been looking at the slowcooker recipe thread and there's a great link to a site - chocolate fudge pudding :D :drool: Need I say more. Will try and work out how to insert the link... http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Hope that has worked?

Been shop hopping, but too tired to update at the mo... see you all tomorrow. night all;)

OOOOOh, I think the link worked! By the way... can anyone tell me how to multi quote? So many great ideas and people on here that I'd like to quote but if I did the whole thread would be full of my posts!

To multi quote just click on the double ballon icon, next to the quote button,know you can do 3 at a time, but not sure if you can do more, then click on post reply button
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for purple sprouting brocoli and pasta meals?

Sorry its early!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business