Help needed with declined claim please

Options
Hi, I'm new to posting on here so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place. However, I would really appreciate any advice that you can give me regarding a PPI claim. Please bear with me:

So, I recently found out that my ex husband (divorced since 2012) has successfully claimed PPI. He and I are no longer in contact (due to his violence) but a mutual friend was recently informed by his new wife that he has recently recieved £3000 after successfully claiming PPI on our previous JOINT mortgage. Apparently he made the claim through The Claims Guys and was awarded £4000, of which they took their 25%. His wife told my friend that he had recieved his HALF but had no intention of informing me about it (he's nice like that) Obviously when I heard this news I decided I would try to do the same, especially in view of the fact that my ex never paid mainenance for our 4 children, so a little recompence for me and my family would be gratefully received.

I made my claim using Resolver through this site. I received a phonecall from Halifax shortly after my claim where I was asked a number of questions regarding how the PPI was sold. To be honest my recollections were a little vague as most of our finances were dealt with by my ex husband (despite being incompetant he was also controlling), but I had done my research and answered as well as I could.
HOWEVER I have received a letter from the Halifax informing me that my claim has been declined due to:

"My review of your complaint has shown that I require the following further information from the time you bought your policy
- whether you had any employee benefits, and the circumstances and period your benefits would have covered you for;
I spoke with you but was unable to obtain all this information from you. This means I've undertaken my review of your complaint based on the limited information available to me. If I had spoken with you and obtained the additional information, the outcome of my review may have been different.
My investigation has shown;

Your mortgage was taken out in joint names and your PPI policy was in the sole name of Mr ********.
From the information available there is nothing to suggest that when Mr ******** bought the policy they were;
-unemployed
-Not aged between 18 and 65
-Not living in the UK
Given the above and when considered in line with the criteria in the policy booklet, Mr ******** was eligible for the policy.
I've considered all the evidence available to me, including the information that you've provided. Based on this information,it appears that you had a need for the policy and were not significantly affected by any of the policy's exclusions or limitations."
I'm really sorry that this post is so long winded, if it wasn't for the fact that I know my ex has definitely received a payout I'd probably have left it,but it all seems so unfair. I'm wondering whether it might be worth my while going through a claims company such as The Claims Guys as they were obviously successful for my ex husband.

Any suggestions as to what I should do now would be massively appreciated, it all seems so unfair :(
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems you didn't have a PPI policy.

Your husband may or may not have had a payout (though I doubt it, as he wouldn't have received half), but it wasn't the claims company that got it for him. They just sold him the stamp.

Time to move on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Debz88 wrote: »
    I have received a letter from the Halifax informing me that my claim has been declined due to:
    Your mortgage was taken out in joint names but your PPI policy was in the sole name of Mr ********.
    Nothing in your post suggests that your ex has unfairly received a payout where you have not.

The PPI policy was solely in his name. Your "complaint" was therefore invalid.

Sorry.
  • Debz88
    Debz88 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It seems you didn't have a PPI policy.

Your husband may or may not have had a payout (though I doubt it, as he wouldn't have received half), but it wasn't the claims company that got it for him. They just sold him the stamp.

Time to move on.

Thanks for your reply, my ex husband has DEFINITELY received a payout, of that I am certain.

I assure you, I have moved on thanks - I am simply trying to establish whether I might still be entitled to anything as the way in which the letter from Halifax was worded implies that I might be. But thanks anyway.
  • Debz88
    Debz88 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Nothing in your post suggests that your ex has unfairly received a payout where you have not.

The PPI policy was solely in his name. Your "complaint" was therefore invalid.

Sorry.

Thanks for your reply. The wording in the letter from Halifax implies different though I think. I am aware now that the PPI was taken out in his name, however we were married at the time, our mortgage was joint and all bills and debts were joint responsibility, it therefore seems only fair that if there are any payouts due (which there clearly are as he has already received his) we should both be entitled to an equal share.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am aware now that the PPI was taken out in his name
    You didn't have a policy, and even though you may in some way, have contributed to the payments, you're not entitled to receive monies from a policy in his sole name.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am aware now that the PPI was taken out in his name, however we were married at the time, our mortgage was joint and all bills and debts were joint responsibility, it therefore seems only fair that if there are any payouts due (which there clearly are as he has already received his) we should both be entitled to an equal share.

As you say, you were not on the policy. So, it was not yours. So, you are not entitled to any money.

if it was a joint policy, it would be different. However, a sole policy in your ex-husband's name means he gets the redress. not you.

If you fancy some legal action, you may be able to claim that the redress is an asset from your time of marriage and should be split on a similar basis to your divorce settlement. Of course, that would involve legal costs and would likely end up greater than the amount you would receive (if any).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Debz88 wrote: »
    The wording in the letter from Halifax implies different though I think.
    I'm afraid it doesn't;
    "Your mortgage was taken out in joint names but your PPI policy was in the sole name of Mr ********."

That sentence is very clear and unambiguous.

You have no entitlement to any PPI redress from the Bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure