Redundancy and pay rise

Options
Has anyone ever heard of a company announcing redundancy and giving out payrises to selected staff at the same time?

Is this even legal??

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Every year we get a pay rise and every year people are made redundant (60,000) since 2008, some are voluntary but many are not. Pay rise announced in Jan with effect from April, with amount based on performance.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wullie1877 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of a company announcing redundancy and giving out payrises to selected staff at the same time?

Is this even legal??

YES it's perfectly legal, why wouldn't it be??
  • Wullie1877
    Options
    That!!!8217;s what I!!!8217;m asking!!!

So..... is it just me who finds this wrong?
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perfectly legal.

Redundancy isn't just when a whole company is going out of business, it is actually more likely to be when one part of the business or a particular type of work is no longer going to be needed.

i.e. is there a business need for this position yes/no, can we accommodate the person fulfilling this position elsewhere in the business where a vacancy exists & their skills/experience can be used yes/no.
    If the answer to both is no the result is likely to be redundancy.

If the business is continuing it is often a good time to consider making pay rises to certain key staff since redundancy anywhere in any business unsettles all staff and the pay rise can help retain those the company wish to keep and prevent a domino effect of staff leaving caused by poor morale.
  • mr_munchem
    Options
    discat11 wrote: »
    Perfectly legal.

Redundancy isn't just when a whole company is going out of business, it is actually more likely to be when one part of the business or a particular type of work is no longer going to be needed.

i.e. is there a business need for this position yes/no, can we accommodate the person fulfilling this position elsewhere in the business where a vacancy exists & their skills/experience can be used yes/no.
    If the answer to both is no the result is likely to be redundancy.

If the business is continuing it is often a good time to consider making pay rises to certain key staff since redundancy anywhere in any business unsettles all staff and the pay rise can help retain those the company wish to keep and prevent a domino effect of staff leaving caused by poor morale.
    Was just about to write basically the same reply... :j
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yes it's just you. The rest of us understand that it's two completely unrelated separate things.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Much as I sympathise with those being made redundant, the business needs to survive and make a profit. Its owners need profit, otherwise the business is of no use to them. It's remaining workers need it to survive so that they have jobs. The business is paying a set of workers who it no longer needs, and who are a drain on profit, so it intends to make them redundant. At the same time they have workers they very much want to retain to make profit, so they are giving them pay rises. Not only legal, but quite sensible if you are an employer. Redundancies destabilise your entire workforce. It makes the people left behind nervous and they start jumping ship. What better way of saying we want to keep you and we value you? If more employers did the same thing, as employee's end up picking up more work and pressure, they'd have a more motivated workforce who aren't looking to jump ship. That's why local authorities are now struggling to recruit. Employees have had zero or minimal pay rises for nearly a decade now. They are having their terms cut. Pensions cut. And having more work piled on top of them as the workload increases at the same time that jobs are lost. They are demotivated and many are highly skilled. And voting with their feet. Contrary to some opinions, their skills sets are often in huge demand in the private sector, where they can get much better pay and conditions. Respecting the additional work and pressure in fairer pay rises might have meant that the sector didn't lose so many of its best staff to profit rather than public service.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's like fire, ambulance & police services, people get promoted for the last year to boost their final pensions.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    It's like fire, ambulance & police services, people get promoted for the last year to boost their final pensions.

It isn't.

(Post too short)
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Sorry but it’s you.
    People are not made redundant - ROLEs are made redundant.

Why do you think it’s not possible to get ride of certain roles, but others can do well?
    It might hel0 you t9 think of redundancy as role based.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure