PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB would like some advice on new build

Options
2»

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The master bedroom is not massive but it is a decent size - if those measurements are accurate. It would not surprise me to discover that they are taken from the widest points of the room. Ditto the lounge measurements which I suspect include the bay.
  • rwcwilson
    Options
    It’s less about turning the taps on and getting wet feet. If they ever need and tightening how do you access them? We had a bathroom with a similar lay out in a rented house and the wall had to be knocked through. (Internal one) to stop the bloody things leaking.

It’d potentially cost you a bath panel each time....

Thanks for pointing that out, hadn't thought about that. I've called the estate agent, it is completed so will be little room for changing whatever they decided to go with.
    The master bedroom is not massive but it is a decent size - if those measurements are accurate. It would not surprise me to discover that they are taken from the widest points of the room. Ditto the lounge measurements which I suspect include the bay.

Guess its massive for us as we have a tiny bedroom at the moment :/ Anyway, we're looking round tomorrow and will update with the results.

On a separate note on asking why the house went up by £15,000 the estate agent just said "the developers had decided it was worth more" :rotfl: Guess I shouldn't be surprised.
  • xsor
    xsor Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah, if they sold out really quick, they will try to increase the price.

Now that they probably have a few that has completed or exchanged, they're probably not in a rush for money, and will try their luck with selling their last for the highest they can get.

I'd ask the total sqm for the place, and just try and work out what others are selling for, and then offer them? Really depends if they are getting any other offers in..
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you are going to find that there is a parking problem. On the marketing photo it implies that you can get a car down the side of the house but I think from the actual street view of that house that the gap between the house and the wall on the boundary of the one next door will make it too narrow for you to open the car doors if you can even get a car in there.

The front garden is also shorter than the ones on the right so it is possible that you won't get a car on the front garden either. You will need to check.
  • rwcwilson
    rwcwilson Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I think you are going to find that there is a parking problem. On the marketing photo it implies that you can get a car down the side of the house but I think from the actual street view of that house that the gap between the house and the wall on the boundary of the one next door will make it too narrow for you to open the car doors if you can even get a car in there.

The front garden is also shorter than the ones on the right so it is possible that you won't get a car on the front garden either. You will need to check.

Will do. It does look quite narrow on street view. I'll see if my car fits tomorrow when we view. I can see parking being an issue if we can't park off-street as the road already looks saturated with parked cars. We have a scirocco and a C1, so the latter might be able to squeeze in front of the house but that would make things very crowded (also doesn't help if we get a bigger car in the future). I would like to get an electric/plug in hybrid at some point in the future so off street parking is a must.

I still think its worth looking at but the more you guys point things out and the more I think about it I don't think this house is going to be the one.
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Is it freehold or leasehold? Is there ground rent or weird covenants or a management company?

Also those rooms do feel slightly narrow, but I find that with new builds.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is what worries me.

Click on the "properties sold nearby" link and there is nothing over 190K.

These seem to be breaking the ceiling price for the area imho and by a long way.
  • rwcwilson
    rwcwilson Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Is it freehold or leasehold? Is there ground rent or weird covenants or a management company?

Also those rooms do feel slightly narrow, but I find that with new builds.

Its freehold and no ground rent/management fees etc.
    ProDave wrote: »
    This is what worries me.

Click on the "properties sold nearby" link and there is nothing over 190K.

These seem to be breaking the ceiling price for the area imho and by a long way.

Yeh that's what has ultimately put the nail in the coffin. If we were to live there for 10 years then we would probably be happy to pay a bit above what the houses on the street have sold for, particularly as they are two up two down terraces and three bed semis sell in the 300-400k mark in the area.

However, as a general update, we looked round it this morning and it is just a bit too cramped. It would be fine for us as a couple but as soon as we have kids it'll become too small very quickly. The bedrooms are all a good size and the bathrooms are nice (I can confirm the layout is nothing like the mock up and the bath taps are in the middle of the bath).

It's the living space that is the problem. The living room is just a tad too small and the kitchen space isn't big enough to make up for it. Although they show a bit of living area next to the breakfast bar in the mock up, its a lot smaller in real life. They would have done much better by having a much bigger kitchen and use it as a kitchen diner. The garden was very large though and really nice (was turfed and had areas for bedded plants and a good quality patio).

The build quality wasn't great throughout the house, with some dodgy plastering work where the plaster meets the skirting board. Also no carpets, so another expense to add on the cost. All the TV ports/plugs in the living room and bedroom were half way up the wall...not everyone wants to mount their TV on the wall! Though there were loads of handy modern plug choices such as ethernet ports, plugs, USB ports, wireless heating controls etc. in most rooms.

The parking was another deal breaker. The entrance is really narrow and I struggled to get my scirocco through. Although the drive way goes much further back than in the picture and could fit two cars end to end and possibly a further smaller car in front of the house, unfortunately the neighbour's boundry wall isn't straight and comes quite far in about half way down the drive. it basically goes large car width at the entrance, then narrow, then really wide at the end. My scirocco would struggle to fit through the middle and certainly not without the mirrors in. I could just see it being a daily pain in the !!!!.

So in conclusion, its not the one unfortunately, think it would have to have been perfect to have won us over. We're back to looking at period properties this afternoon :) Thanks for all your opinions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure