Royal Mail sent my parcel where??

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 February 2018 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Once you post it, nobody reads the address label. It's the barcode that matters.

Possibly the label with the barcode has been slightly damaged or there was some detritus on it that caused the scan to misread and sent it in the wrong direction.

It'll all get sorted out soon enough.

Sorry but thats nonsense.
    Yes on containers and bags you will have barcodes but reading labels is still in use.
    Speaking of bags. Used largely with parcels and flights due to the way parcels are loaded onto the ULDs (large bins that go in the holds of planes.)
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine don't have barcodes.
    When the Post Office print a postage label (like an oversized stamp), or when you buy postage online, the 2D barcode contains part of the address (house number/name, postcode and country).
  • custardy
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    When the Post Office print a postage label (like an oversized stamp), or when you buy postage online, the 2D barcode contains part of the address (house number/name, postcode and country).

2D barcode scanning only relates to standard UK parcels
  • theonlywayisup
    Options

We are talking about international postage.

I don't use a Post Office to send my parcels.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The OP took the package to a post office to send.

When you do that the post office clerk prints off a label with the UPU tracking number and barcode and sticks it on the package.

It's this barcode that determines the packages path through the UK postal system and from then on in the recipient country, though there's a good chance the address label comes back into play for the final delivery.

It's why you're able to track international packages through to their destination. You don't seriously think there's somebody at every step of the way manually typing your package's address details into a computer?
  • custardy
    Options

When you do that the post office clerk prints off a label with the UPU tracking number and barcode and sticks it on the package.

It's this barcode that determines the packages path through the UK postal system and from then on in the recipient country, though there's a good chance the address label comes back into play for the final delivery.

It's why you're able to track international packages through to their destination. You don't seriously think there's somebody at every step of the way manually typing your package's address details into a computer?

So explain to me how this barcode is scanned ' through the UK postal system ' when the items are bagged and labelled to their destination country at the first receiving mail centre?

The post in question reated to 2D barcodes. obviously if an item has tracking as an option,it will be tracked on route.
    However RMs network does not have automated sorting by barcode( exluding one MC with the new parcel sort machinery) so the address is used.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2018 at 8:08PM
    Options

Where does the OP say they went to a PO?

All of my post goes from an account collection. No PO at all.....

Even if it was via a PO, where do these amazing tracking barcodes appear? How do they track international mail?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where does the OP say they went to a PO?
    The OP has a "Royal Mail receipt". Delivery offices don't give certificates of posting, so it could only possibly be a Post Office.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    The OP has a "Royal Mail receipt". Delivery offices don't give certificates of posting, so it could only possibly be a Post Office.

I have RM POP receipts. I don't use a PO. ;)

Where do the tracking barcodes for international parcels come from?

Are you posting under two usernames?
  • timbstoke
    Options
    There's no reason to suspect that the package is even lost. Bolivia would be a perfectly acceptable transfer point for cargo to South Korea. I can't imagine SK gets enough mail from the UK to justify having dedicated flights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure