Spending money - India

Options
We're looking at doing the Golden Triangle. It's a booked tour with pretty much everything included. Just the two of us going.

It's just general day to day spending money for gifts, the odd non included meal etc.

Thanks

Comments

• parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy it - I would say £10 pppd unless you want to drink a lot of alcohol......assumes you are not into fine dining in 5 star hotels.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    India has ATMs so no particular need to specify the amount in advance. Do NOT make the terrible mistake of bringing rupees back with you unless you want to keep them for souvenirs: exchanging them for sterling is not easy when in the UK.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A colleague of mine & his wife go to Kerala regularly, they both drink (A lot) and like good food. They stay in a rented villa & say they live like royalty on £50/day between them. They eat out and don't self cater at all, apart from brewing up.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    India is insanely cheap and as has been mentioned they have atms (and credit cards) are now widely accepted. Street food, for which you’d obviously need cash, is generally decent and very cheap. I’d go along with the £10 a day for incidentals. You should be able to change Sterling fairly easily in Delhi & Jaipur if you didn’t want to use atms but be aware that red tape often means that this sort of thing takes longer in the subcontinent.

Note that India took R500 & R1,000 notes out of circulation a couple of years ago and these are now worthless. I was there just afterwards and it was mayhem. Check the reserve bank of India website to see which notes are valid. As with any country the locals will try to palm useless notes to foreigners given the chance.

The golden triangle trip is very special. Enjoy.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    A colleague of mine & his wife go to Kerala regularly, they both drink (A lot) and like good food. They stay in a rented villa & say they live like royalty on £50/day between them. They eat out and don't self cater at all, apart from brewing up.

Alcohol is taxed in parts of India, with the taxes being set by the State (rather than national) government. In Hyderabad drinking cost a little more than in England, with quality being very much lower. So cheap booze in Kerala does not mean that it will be cheap elsewhere.

I do agree about the food.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only eat street food if you can see it being cooked freshly in front of your eyes.

Before you eat in restaurants, have a quick look at the loo. It might give you a clue as to how clean the kitchen is.
  • Ballard
    Options
    Alcohol is taxed in parts of India, with the taxes being set by the State (rather than national) government. In Hyderabad drinking cost a little more than in England, with quality being very much lower. So cheap booze in Kerala does not mean that it will be cheap elsewhere.

I do agree about the food.

I thought that Kerala had gone dry but perhaps I’ve misremembered.

Local beers are often very strong (7-10%) and not particularly nice imo. It’s also common for them to be warm which makes them even more unpalatable. It’s generally a good idea to feel any bottle before it’s opened to gauge the temperature. The Hindi for cold is pronounced something like ‘tander’ if they appear to have trouble understanding.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I thought that Kerala had gone dry but perhaps I’ve misremembered.

Local beers are often very strong (7-10%) and not particularly nice imo. It’s also common for them to be warm which makes them even more unpalatable. It’s generally a good idea to feel any bottle before it’s opened to gauge the temperature. The Hindi for cold is pronounced something like ‘tander’ if they appear to have trouble understanding.

Why's that.....Electricity load-shedding? Only places with generators being able to keep the beer chilled?

It's like that all over Nepal too.
  • Ballard
    Options
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    Why's that.....Electricity load-shedding? Only places with generators being able to keep the beer chilled?

It's like that all over Nepal too.

I’m not sure of the reason. I suspect that busy places just don’t have the fridge space to cater for crowds and quieter places don’t rank cooling drinks partlicularly highly.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I’m not sure of the reason. I suspect that busy places just don’t have the fridge space to cater for crowds and quieter places don’t rank cooling drinks partlicularly highly.
    I remember on our first trip to Goa that none of the beach shacks had electricity, so all cooking was done on gas rings or in a tandoor. Some had little generators for lighting. As for cold drinks, the staff would arrive in the mornings with huge blocks of ice which would be used in water baths to chill the beer and soft drinks. That was over 20 years ago but, knowing India, probably little has changed,
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport