PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2010 at 2:18PM
    Options
    Ok will have a go at quantities, although it just depends on what I have.
    A medium onion, a large carrot, 1 stick of celery if it's there. For the mushrooms, 1 large field one, or say 5-6 chestnut. They can either be blitzed or chopped, but I do think the blitzing - of all the veg - adds flavour, as it gets the juices out, which then mix into the oil/stock etc.

Green lentils are meatier, you know how the red ones just sort of go mushy or dissolve, the green ones keep more texture - and go a sort of meaty colour. I cook them from dried but am sure a tin would be fine. I use a couple of handfuls. Green & red mixed would be fine too.
    Don't think I'd waste wine on it tbh, although I add it to Bolognese whether veg or meat version.
    Forgot to say, that would be for 2 of us.
  • tashmartin
    Options
    Afternoon all! Well, I went to Mr T and spent £96!!!! But, the good news is that I managed to use £50 worth of gift cards that i've collected from doing survey, so I only had to hand over £46 in cash. Don't seem to have much to show for it but I did get a lot of xmas presents so I don't feel too bad!
    october gc-£74.80/ £200
    NSD-4/ 18
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 October 2010 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Made a Shepherdess Pie last night for tea - it's probably the fourth or fifth time I've made it, but there's no escaping it....it's boring and bland, and my least favourite tea of the month ...

anyone got any suggestions for pepping it up a bit please? ...

you've had a good response, we have a Lentil Shepherds Pie in the front page index too ;)

I've also added Rose Elliot's Golden Lentil Soup to the front page index (still a little room left in the post!) :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Cat72
    Cat72 Posts: 2,398 Forumite
    Options
    Shepherdess Pie - maybe add some smoked paprika or chilli to spice it up. Or even cheese on top of the potatoes.
    I love smoked parika its great -get it cheap from a*da -or unbelievable M& S .Add it to anything and it just zaps things up, eg macaroni & cheese , pasta dishes, rice dishes etc .

I must thank everyone on this thread- after a ropey start I have for the first time in ages not spent as much on shopping. Really hope I can keep it up ! As awful month for bills and things breaking .
  • SalAmander_2
    Options
    Made a Shepherdess Pie last night for tea - it's probably the fourth or fifth time I've made it, but there's no escaping it....it's boring and bland, and my least favourite tea of the month, and I so don't want it to be, as I don't have many veggie meals, so really don't want to drop it from the menu. Last night I used Leek instead of onion, and it was even more bland than usual :rotfl: - anyone got any suggestions for pepping it up a bit please?

If you don't have time to make your own vegetable stock, then I have found using a good shop-bought one can add a lot of flavour. I use Marigold vegetable bouillon (they also do one with reduced salt which I wouldn't recommend in this case). For me, it is a false economy to use a cheaper stock cube because you get a depth of flavour from this stock and it's a good base for building any meal up. It's not hideously expensive but there are undoubtedly plenty of cheaper options out there.

You're already using black pepper, so apart from using a good stock, I would suggest adding a bit of Lee & Perrins, or possibly a teaspoon of Marmite, or some Tabasco or something fiery to give it a bit of a kick? Good luck.
    Keep on doing what you're doing, and you'll keep on getting what you've got. :A
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £16.17 in Aldi today, again I only went in for some cereal!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• SalAmander_2
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hi Chums aren't we all doing well this month I have only spent £1.55 so far this month and have had 6 NSDs.

That's fantastic! What a great start to the month. Well done you! :T
    Keep on doing what you're doing, and you'll keep on getting what you've got. :A
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi peeps :wave:

i`ve just updated my siggy with this weekends spends. Shopping is very early this week as DH will be away and i`ll be working so he`s been today to do the weekly shop instead of Saturday or Sunday which is when we usually go.

£4 on petfood and £22.46 for us this week so i`m really pleased :j

Both freezers are full and my pantry/storecupboard is three quarters full so i`ve more than enough food in to last quite a while.

I`m trying to keep everything well stocked as i don`t intend on doing a huge shop for Christmas this year. Last year i didn`t go mad either and it was actually better, i made lots of things in advance and froze them and we not only saved a fortune but it made everything seem more traditional rather than everything coming out of a box IYKWIM.

I`m off to make a to do list for later as i need to make sure that i remember to put the slow cooker on tonight :D

Nice to see everyone is doing well!

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quantities Diflower and to everyone else who has kindly offered suggestions :)

Interesting that the green lentils go a meaty colour....whod've thought? I'm a bit new to lentils, so I don't know these things.

I got the delicious recipe below off here a few months back, I just checked in the recipe index and couldn't see it there, and it's soooo lush, it really should be shared. Could you add it please Rosieben?

CHEESE & LENTIL LOAF post 63

Thanks also for the pointer to Lentil Shepherds Pie in the index too, Rosieben :)

I love the idea of adding smoked paprika (which I have) and also chilli, although I already do a Spicy Mushroom & Bean Chilli so I don't want it to taste too similar, although I have mild and hot chilli powder, so maybe a little mild, with the smoked paprika would be a nice addition. That's a fab idea Cat72 - thanks :)

SalAmander - love your ideas too - why have I not thought of some of these things myself?! :doh: and I have to confess, I use Vegetable Oxo, which could well be the basis of the problem. I never make my own stock as I never have a whole chicken.

I've used Oxo stock cubes for years, and have even recently tried their jars of stock granules but the stock created from them never seems to taste of much anymore, as you say, there seems to be no depth of flavour, so changing to a new stock cube may well be the answer for improved flavour.

Thank you so much for everyone's responses :)

NSD here. Am pleased about that after my shaky start. I've checked last months figures and I'd spent roughly the same amount of money last month at this date too, so I've calmed down a bit now ;)

And finally WTG JackieO! :T
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I've used Oxo stock cubes for years, and have even recently tried their jars of stock granules but the stock created from them never seems to taste of much anymore, as you say, there seems to be no depth of flavour, so changing to a new stock cube may well be the answer for improved flavour.

:T

Don't know if it would be a better flavour, but Dan Appfo0d has got 2 x OXO liquid concentrate for 99p?

HTH :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport