Toto energy massive price increase

Options

Comments

• jrh2254
    jrh2254 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Should say 30 days in title
    4. Price Plans
    4.1 Your contract will be for either a fixed plan or a variable price plan.

4.2 A fixed price plan is for a fixed term and fixed rate, more particularly:

4.2.1 We will not increase the charges you pay under your contract while you are on a fixed contract unless
    your contract changes in accordance with this contract and in particular clause 15 of this contract
    (‘Changes to your contract”).
    4.2.2 You may be liable for a cancellation or termination fee if you terminate or switch suppliers before the
    fixed period has expired.

4.3 A variable contract means one of our variable rate tariffs which may also have a fixed term, more
    particularly:
    We may increase the charges you pay under a variable contract by providing you with 30 days’
    advance notice. We may outline how charges will increase over the course of a whole year (or smaller
    period) in advance, thereby providing greater than 30 days notice.

4.4 If you are on a fixed contract you can cancel your contract during the first 14 days beginning on
    the Commencement Date (“cooling off period”) without incurring a termination fee (see section 17).

4.5 If you are on a standard variable contract you can cancel at any time without incurring a termination
    fee.

4.6 If you are on a discounted variable contract with a fixed term you may be liable for a termination fee
    If you terminate or switch suppliers before the end of the fixed period.

4.7 Details of our tariffs can be found here https://www.totoenergy.com/gas-electricity

4.8 If you are on a particular variable contract and we withdraw that particular variable contract from
    new and renewing customers, we may move you onto the cheapest standard variable contract that is
    available at the time by giving no less than 30 days written notice.

4.9 You may be on a deemed contract where you have entered into an agreement with us for the supply
    of Services by virtue of our Services being supplied to you. Should this situation arise, you will be
    placed on our cheapest available standard variable contract for the type of meter you have
  • h1ubs
    h1ubs Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    No one is tricking anybody, and I am saying this as a consumer not an energy company employee. If you agreed to switch to a variable tariff, then prices can go up or down depending on market conditions. If there is an increase in tariff price then, according to the terms of their Supply Licence, TOTO has to give you at least 30days notice. You now have to decide whether to stay or switch again.

I think you are missing the point here by suggesting we've signed up to a variable tariff, so tough ! We signed up to a tariff that was advertised as (and promoted by MSE Energy Club) as having a Guaranteed Price for 12 months and in the welcome pack literature is clearly listed the Guaranteed Price date. Funny that they called it a Variable Saver tariff and no mention of 'Guaranteed Price' or the 'until date' in T&C's. Smacks of changing goalposts. I am hoping for clarification by way of an admin error that my price guarantee will be honoured. We'll see.
  • jackywacky
    jackywacky Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 December 2017 at 11:20PM
    Options
    I switched to Toto last April all was good until I received a letter a couple of days ago notifying me of some hefty price increases.
    Normally there is a charge if I leave them but they say they will not charge if I notify them by the 2nd January.
    Like others I thought I had a one year fix but now I'm not certain.
    My welcome pack says the tariff ends 29/4/18 and the price is guaranteed until 29/4/18.
    Whatever happens I'm certainly will not be paying the increased charges, the company Bulb have good reviews I think I'll change to them
  • h1ubs
    Options
    I'm surprised at the number of disgruntled TOTO customers who thought they were on guaranteed prices and who are just prepared to give in the towel and change supplier to spite TOTO. You will be paying more than the price they guaranteed you !! Early days and no real explanation from them on the 'guarantee' yet. Please stay and fight for your guaranteed price rights .. i.e. complain, escalate, OFGEM etc .. that's the way to save on the rest of this winters fuel costs !
  • Keith666
    Keith666 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 6 December 2017 at 1:53AM
    Options
    Have to say very fast and efficient response from MSE Laura. Like others I still had "switch in progress" , so no cashback and no ability to switch again. This is because Toto have yet to inform them of completion after almost 6 months. Incompetence or a deliberate ploy to avoid paying the cashback? you decide. The status has now been changed manually by MSE - thanks. I want to get Toto to stick to the price guarantee (yes I hear the arguments that its a variable rate but it's clearly stated on the letter that prices are fixed - very misleading to the customer and should be honoured). I'm not too optimistic though.
  • Theta101
    Theta101 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Price increase of 32%.
    After only 2 months.

I can switch to fixed cost contract and save £300..
    (Which is what I'll do)
  • Cornish_Dave
    Options
    For me the additional issue is their awful customer service, so as they say I need not pay a termination fee I am off! Moving to Breeze who admittedly were a few bob dearer than Tonik but I live in Newcastle where Breeze have their office.
  • jackywacky
    jackywacky Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2017 at 7:43PM
    Options
    h1ubs wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the number of disgruntled TOTO customers who thought they were on guaranteed prices and who are just prepared to give in the towel and change supplier to spite TOTO. You will be paying more than the price they guaranteed you !! Early days and no real explanation from them on the 'guarantee' yet. Please stay and fight for your guaranteed price rights .. i.e. complain, escalate, OFGEM etc .. that's the way to save on the rest of this winters fuel costs !

When I use the Energy Club it says there are 9 companies that I can switch to and save money. Granted the savings are only between £2 and £29 a year it's not much but that's at the moment. If the planned Toto price increase of 24.5% (£256) a year goes ahead then I'll be quids in.
    I'll give it a few more days as I'm still not sure if they can do the increase as my welcome pack definitely says 'Variable Rate' but the price is guaranteed until 29/4/18.
    In that time I won't be holding my breath but I'm hoping Jack the Toto representative will clarify on here or I'm off

Edit
    Just seen thishttps://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/12/energy-supplier-toto-energy-to-hike-prices-

it says...........

Some customers on its Variable Saver tariff WILL see prices rise. This is a 12-month fixed-term variable tariff - so you're locked into the tariff for a year with £10/fuel exit fees, but the rates CAN change over that period. MoneySavers who are on this tariff have received letters telling them their rate will increase, so we know it's affected.

Looks like I’m on my way!

• jammeister
    Options
    Dear Keith 666 :

I have the same problem [ Like others I still have"switch in progress" , so no cashback and no ability to switch again ]

Can you please tell me how do you contact Laura at MSE to get her to manually change the status ?
    Phone ? Email ? If so what email address ?

Grateful your advice.
    Thanks
    Jammeister
  • h1ubs
    Options
    It's interesting to see how the increases appear to vary across the regions. The MSE news item linked above suggests that some rises are to be as much as 25 %.
    My current Gas Unit Rate is 2.48p per KWh. The new rate will be 3.50p per KWh. Now it's a while since I did my Maths O Level but I make that an increase of around 41 %.
    Despite that totally ridiculous and unjustifiable rise due to 'wholesale price increases', my biggest gripe (as I might have said ) is the contractual information provided in the welcome pack which included a "Price Guarantee for 12 months". Still awaiting some clarification.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure