Charles Stanley Direct no longer a top tip?

Options
Hi guys,

I've noticed that Charles Stanley Direct is no longer one of the top tips for a Stocks & Shares ISA. Just wondering if anyone knows the reason for this? Have fees risen recently?

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What do you mean - no longer a top tip by who?
  • Gaeilgeoir
    Gaeilgeoir Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm referring to the MSE site about Stocks & Shares ISAs. They recommend Cavendish, AJ Bell etc.
    (not letting me post links, sorry)

Certainly up until a few months ago, CSD was one of the highest recommended options for platforms.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not aware of any changes at CSD they are still a good option depending on your circumstances. That's the problem with trying to do a 'best buy' table of S&S platforms as there are so many possible situations in which different providers would be the best choice.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I agree completely with Alex.

The whole "best buy" for platforms is a completely flawed idea. The whole article attached to it is a bit of a worry too, as I have commented on more than one occasion previously.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check out SnowMan!!!8217;s comparison spreadsheet here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • CityOwl
    CityOwl Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    Check out SnowMan!!!;s comparison spreadsheet here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5583030

Another recommendation for Snowman's spreadsheet :T

Until recently we had a S&S ISA with Charles Stanley Direct, the website was easy to use and the customer service was excellent. However, due to Vanguard launching their own platform and the size of the investment, it was more prudent to switch. Thanks to both providers, the in specie transfer was painless and completed within 2 weeks.

I would not hesitate to recommend CSD if the charging structure works for you.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE is influenced by a) marketing and b) incomplete information.

MSE also has a dreadful history when it comes to investment products. Historically the articles have been simplistic, poor quality, often wrong. Often out-of-date and based only on a small part of the market.
    Certainly up until a few months ago, CSD was one of the highest recommended options for platforms.
    Based on a journalist opinion with a bit of marketing attached.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    MSE is influenced by a) marketing and b) incomplete information.

MSE also has a dreadful history when it comes to investment products. Historically the articles have been simplistic, poor quality, often wrong. Often out-of-date and based only on a small part of the market.

Based on a journalist opinion with a bit of marketing attached.

"Free the dunston one next time too."
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    "Free the dunston one next time too."

Sometimes you need to be told to go on holiday for a week ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure