Savings in EURO

Options
I currently have an Irish bank account with savings of 10,000 +.
I am being charged a quarterly fee for having this bank account, and as I may someday move back to Ireland I would like to keep my savings in euro.
I am searching for irish saving accounts but the interest rates are terrible. Any advice on how to store this money as euros where I will also be earning interest and not getting charged?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be very pleased to have a nest egg in euros. The £ looks set to fall and continue falling unless May & Co pull a large rabbit out of their cocked hat :(:(:(
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 21 July 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    LB15 wrote: »
    I am searching for irish saving accounts but the interest rates are terrible. Any advice on how to store this money as euros where I will also be earning interest and not getting charged?
    Best place to get a good rate of interest on Euros, fee free, is in your dreams... :D

Here in the real world, we know that the interest rate from the European Central Bank is negative 0.4%, and banks can get finance from overnight lending at 0.25%. So banks do not welcome customer deposits at much higher rates than that.

Individual banks within the Eurozone may have the appetite to take deposits from local customers to finance their lending operations, to whom they could pay a better rate in the hope that they can sell on other services (credit cards, mortgages, personal loans). A bit like here in the UK where some banks and building societies will offer rates on a short term basis on limited amounts of money as a marketing tool. However, if you live here in the UK rather than in the Eurozone, the banks there are not going to be signing you up for the special promotional rates with the intention of cross-selling you a credit card and value-added services when you pop into their local branches.

My Euro cash is with Citi, in an account that pays zero. Within my S&S investments I do have investment funds that invest into European businesses (and other businesses from around the world), but that is a longer term thing, rather than just for holiday and travel money.

If you are holding the Euros as a longer term thing on some vague idea of maybe returning back to Ireland someday, it is a little shortsighted to keep the money in cash: where you get pretty much zero interest rate, it costs you to maintain the account, and inflation will erode the spending power of your money. So if this is for the long term, use S&S investment funds.

If instead it is short term, then recognise that what your account is doing for you, is not acting as a moneysipinner but instead is protecting some of your cash from a devaluation of sterling so you'll still have those Euros when your pounds are each only wotth one Euro or some other number lower than today. That's the only real function of a non-interest-paying account in a country you don't visit and a currency you don't spend day to day.
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    While not helping the interest situation, an Ulster Bank account with that balance would not have any maintenance fees I think.
  • thrifty_pete
    thrifty_pete Posts: 307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it is for the medium term 5 years plus, then buying pounds with the euros is a good deal right now. Then you could also save tax with an ISA (assuming you haven't used up the 20k alread) and invest in stocks and shares or cash depending on your risk appetite. Then buy Euros when you go back to Ireland. In my experience for relatively small sums like 10k many banks will offer you are good savings deal as long as you have a current account and pay your income into it. That goes for the UK as well as abroad: some mutuals in Germany are paying 1.5% interest although a limited balance.
    The big risk is whether the pound can fall further against the Euro in the medium term. I don't think it can go below 1:1 so with 10k you'd only lose about 1k at today's rates. If the pounds goes back to 1:1.3 you might gain 2k.
  • RD69
    RD69 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HSBC do a euro account with no fee. But no interest either.

Also, I think, you need a sterling account too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure