Underlay

Options
Getting new carpet fitted soon and thinking of buying our own underlay off eBay as been told its much cheaper and you can get a thicker quality for a better price than what the shops charge you.

Anyone ever done this before? I'm looking on eBay at underlay and theres so many to choose from!

Are any particular types better than others, or is it a case of they're all pretty much the same?

I take it the thicker it is the better at insulation/soundproofing?

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I got new carpets fitted last summer, I got several recommendations for Cloud 9.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I bought wool felt underlay on eBay. Proper branded foam underlay seems pretty much the same price as from discount supplies - it's often P&P that makes a difference.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy the best you can afford. Look for Cloud 9 or Tredair as they are high quality brands. Ebay might not be cheapest, do a google search for companies selling carpet underlay & accessories to public.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • supa34
    supa34 Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On ebay you do have idiots who sell things at a loss or a very very small profit margin, we are talking pennies in some cases after they have taken out postage, ebay fees, PayPal fees which they usually don't. So you do get it cheaper. Its true. Only bad point is can't return so order right amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure