Odd letter from new owner of a car

Options

Comments

• cb1979
    cb1979 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2018 at 11:24AM
    Options
    When my Daughters Car was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

A few months later it had obviously been repaired as the new owner tracked my Daughter down through searching for her name on Facebook and had the cheek to ask for the service books, handbooks etc.

She politely declined his request
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Reply........sorry no, but they are inexpensive form the key cutters. All the best.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cb1979 wrote: »
    When my Daughters VW Beetle was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

A few months later it had obviously been repaired as the new owner tracked my Daughter down through searching for her name on Facebook and had the cheek to ask for the service books, handbooks etc.

What was "cheeky" about that, if she had the handbooks/service book etc then why the hell not do a good deed and pass them on to the new owner.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When my Daughters VW Beetle was in an accident and was a write off she got paid out and the vehicle was taken away by Copart vehicle dismantlers

I fail to see the issue.

The insurers chose not to repair the car, as it was cheaper for them to pay the pre-collision value to your daughter, taking ownership of it in the process.

This is the point at which your daughter's direct involvement with the car stopped. In effect, she sold it to the insurer.

The insurer flagged it as a write-off, but of a repairable type. Copart are a salvage auctioneer, not a dismantler.
    https://www.copart.co.uk/

Copart then sold the car on behalf of the owners, the insurer.
    Somebody then bought the car, and repaired it. They felt that was a financially worthwhile activity, while the insurer did not.

So what's the problem with them then asking the previous owner if there's any paperwork that didn't get passed down the chain in the confusion of a claim after a relatively major incident?
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 717 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So what's the problem...

The online stalking part, perhaps. Writing a letter to the last address on the V5 is one thing, tracking someone down and contacting them through social media is another.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If your key was wearing out though would you actually look on the log book to find a previous owner and then write a letter to them a year after you bought the car? I would go to the key man in Tesco car park and get another one cut.

He might have bought it yesterday. You have jumped to an unwarranted conclusion. As said by another poster just have any look and do the decent thing if yiu happen to have the keys..
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Broken original key ?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    k12479 wrote: »
    The online stalking part, perhaps. Writing a letter to the last address on the V5 is one thing, tracking someone down and contacting them through social media is another.

This.

If someone tracked me down on social media and started asking casual questions about a previous car then I'd ignore them. If they wrote a letter to previous address on V5 then I may help them.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options

Why? my sons recently wrote off his car and it is at Copart. We've the two keys here. If someone was to ask, I'd happily post them to them.

Along with the service record and any other relevent items we had.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think its odd at all, seems a reasonable request.

If I did have the spare key I'd send it on (after confirming they do own the car).

As for someone "stalking" on Facebook! Many young people wouldn't know what a letter is & contacting someone through social media is perfectly natural to them.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure