First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has she considered Gibraltar?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    Options
    While its a long way away I was just curious about what happens to EU citizens of other member states who wish to retire elsewhere in the EU post Brexit but have spent all their life in the UK re healthcare.

Now at present the country where you worked/earned your pension picks up your healthcare costs (via the S1 form) - and pays the health service of the EU nation you retire in.

If you are say an Irish citizen (as applies to almost everyone in Northern Ireland) but have only ever worked in the UK - if say you retire to Spain will the UK or Ireland or Spain cover your healthcare as a retiree. Clearly Brits won't be able to retire in the EU as of right but EU citizens resident in the UK will be but won't necessarily have worked in one of the other 27 existing EU nations.

Would it be necessary to go and work in an EU member state for a few months to qualify - and they then pick up the tab? Probably subject to negotiation!
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »

Ireland will still be an option - but not exactly a good choice weather wise!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »

Did you know that at any one time there are 18 trucks replenishing stock at the Morrisons supermarket in Gibraltar and it is consistantly in their top 10 stores by sales volumes?
  • tony541
    tony541 Posts: 29 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 12:01AM
    Options
    Personally, I dont think the reciprical health care will change at all regardless of the outcome of brexit especially with Spain
    I would advise your mother to rent somewhere for say 3 months to make friends and get to know about the real deal about living in a foreign country. Also it is relatively cheap to rent somewhere on the south costa blanca, a cheaper area, from Cartagena to Alicante for say 500 euros per month for a two or one-bed apartment. And, so one doesnt need to tie up all one's wealth buying. Buying and then selling in Spain will lose you some 15 to 20% of your capital which puts a lot of people off downsizing in Spain, myself included. Have a look at the expat website http://www.talkquesada.com/ and then at 'properties' which shows to let and wanted long term lets. Ciudad Quesada and other Urbinisations at La Marina and Villa Martin are good expat communities with bars, restaurants and medical facilities. Your mum could say organise a weeks holiday there and do a reccy for long term rental and local agents would show her some properties for rent.
    Good luck with it.
    ps I'm not pushing Costa Blanca South but it could be a decent area to research if your mum is on a budget and it isnt a bad place to live.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    I wouldn't mind living in Alicante. It's a lovely old town, but a world away from the more popular Benidorm.

Does your mum want to become part of an 'expat community' i.e. just the same as UK but in the sun - or does she really want to live in another country, learn the language etc?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport