Retiring to the EU after Brexit?

Options
This is on behalf of my mother, who after years of chasing the moving goal posts will finally retire this year with a long awaited plan of retiring to a warmer EU country (Spain, Portugal or Greece are some of the favourites).

The thing is, while I know a lot is unknown she now has no idea what to expect or if the plan might even be possible after/just before Brexit.

I know the visa situation is difficult to know at this time, but her main concern is rather health care; as she has just recovered from cancer a few years ago and is also currently having weekly (expensive) injections for arthritis private healthcare would be impossibly expensive. So what would her options be, if any?

She is considering to move earlier than planned (around summer of this year), or considering to keep her residence and only live part of the year in the new country, but how would she receive her weekly treatments in this case?

I know a lot of these things are still unknown, but vague opinions are very welcome. Is there a way that she will likely be able to keep to her plan, or does she have to give up on her retirement dreams and stay in the UK?

Comments

• ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mbzon wrote: »
    private healthcare would be impossibly expensive. So what would her options be, if any?[...]

I know a lot of these things are still unknown, but vague opinions are very welcome. Is there a way that she will likely be able to keep to her plan, or does she have to give up on her retirement dreams and stay in the UK?

I'd say she's SOL and it ain't happening from some of what you've said. Let's face it, very few of us get any healthier with age. But you haven't said what her resources are, if she has half a mill squirreled away if might be different. Does she own her property outright? How old is she, what connection does she have with her desired destination etc etc.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mbzon wrote: »
    vague opinions are very welcome

She might be able to do it.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,340 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the moment, the bill for health care for British pensioners living in other EU countries is still paid by the British government. I would imagine that this arrangement will end rapidly following Brexit. So anyone in such a position would need to establish entitlement under whatever system is in place in the country where they live (and different EU countries have different systems). The best advice for your mother, then, is to find a country that has a decent public health-care system and where she could make herself eligible for care under that system in the year or so remaining. I suggest that she (or you) should have a good look at Expat forums for the relevant countries.
  • mbzon
    mbzon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I am also looking into the specific countries and what her situation would be there, but I was thinking more about using the NHS healthcare in these countries somehow. Maybe by keeping her British residence for example?

I've also heard the NHS is sometimes happy for people to get treaten abroad as it's often cheaper than it is in the UK.

Finally... As I understand at the moment within the EU she would automatically be eligible for the same public health insurance as any local, but if she moved in 2018 what are the chances that would continue into the future?
  • Sobraon
    Sobraon Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Continuing access to healthcare was the subject of fairly early discussion (see this Guardian report last August).

The PM reiterated the intention in a letter to expats in December 2017.

But the 'devil will be in the detail' and of course the UK may leave without a deal.
  • mbzon
    mbzon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sobraon wrote: »
    Continuing access to healthcare was the subject of fairly early discussion (see this Guardian report last August).

The PM reiterated the intention in a letter to expats in December 2017.

But the 'devil will be in the detail' and of course the UK may leave without a deal.

Thanks, that is good to hear. But it seems to be refering to people who are already living in the EU, do you think that would still apply to a person who moved in 2018 or even later?
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We can't really second guess but I would expect there will be some sort of deal where those already resident in a country retain the rights that they already enjoy whilst those arriving after a designated date do not have those rights conferred on them.

This has already been suggested as the UK point of view- those here keep what they have those arriving after Brexit don't get the same rights so why would the EU give UK citizens more rights than we give EU citizens?

I'd suggest move before Brexit actually happens!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would she consider moving down to the south coast harbour towns in Devon where it can be quite warm?
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    the most straightforward way would be finding out how much those injections would cost - why you are assuming it wil be too expensive?
    Why does not she go to the country for a few months first and get a feel for it?Devon joke made me chuckle
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • margaretclare
    Options
    Which languages does she speak? Spanish, Portuguese or Greek?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport