E.on and past due credit solutions

Options
Hi,

I received a letter over the weekend from past due credit solutions relating to a £560 fee owed to eon. It was from when I was at a property with my ex partner over 2 years ago with eon stating I owe them this money for electric used over an 18 month period.

I can't for the life of me remember who my previous energy supplier was at the property but I'm sure I paid a for dual fuel and I know that I wouldn't have not paid an electricity bill for over a year.

I called eon this morning and they said there is nothing they can do and I will need to speak to past due credit. If I can prove I was paying electric then they will good the debt.

Is there anyway I can find who my previous supplier was to prove that I was paying electricity whilst at the property. Also as the bill is in my name is my ex partner not liable too (we are not on speaking terms so it's going to be impossible to get her to fork out for half).

As I have been moved out for over 2 years I was not in receipt of any notifications from the eon stating I owed thus debt. My ex has not passed on any post since i moved out.

Any help on how to tackle this would be great as I have no idea where to begin and obviously want to avoid paying nearly £600 when I'm 99% sure I was paying electricity on a dual fuel plan with another provider.

Thanks

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Write back and ask them to supply a detailed bill and the period to which the demand relates.

Also make sure that you dispute responsibility for the debt.

If you are sure the supplier at the time was different, could it be that your ex switched supplier and the bill relates to this?
    If so, then I don't believe you are responsible as, when you gave up residence, your ex would have then been liabile for the energy consumed from then.
    Did you tell the supplier at the time you had left?

If it does turn out that it's for a period when you were resident then, as the energy account was in your name then it's your responsibility to pay it should they manage to prove you're the one liable.
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 August 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Jamieb wrote: »
    Hi,

I received a letter over the weekend from past due credit solutions relating to a £560 fee owed to eon. It was from when I was at a property with my ex partner over 2 years ago with eon stating I owe them this money for electric used over an 18 month period.

I can't for the life of me remember who my previous energy supplier was at the property but I'm sure I paid a for dual fuel and I know that I wouldn't have not paid an electricity bill for over a year.

I called eon this morning and they said there is nothing they can do and I will need to speak to past due credit. If I can prove I was paying electric then they will good the debt.

Is there anyway I can find who my previous supplier was to prove that I was paying electricity whilst at the property. Also as the bill is in my name is my ex partner not liable too (we are not on speaking terms so it's going to be impossible to get her to fork out for half).

As I have been moved out for over 2 years I was not in receipt of any notifications from the eon stating I owed thus debt. My ex has not passed on any post since i moved out.

Any help on how to tackle this would be great as I have no idea where to begin and obviously want to avoid paying nearly £600 when I'm 99% sure I was paying electricity on a dual fuel plan with another provider.

Thanks

It's unlikley any supplier would bill you for a period & usage that they were not supplying you.

As stated above, ask Eon for a copyt of the bill to whicgh the demand relates.

Then think lonmg and hard as to who you are 99% sure you have paid, as it sounds like they could owe you a substantial amount ... of the order of £600 at a guess ;)
    (Presumably you have access to records, such as your bank, as to who you have paid money to? Or do you clearly remember paying the dual fuel bills all in cash...)

ETA: Brand new poster, left immedaitely.
    I wonder if they will ever remember their password to return?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jamieb wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

Hello Jamieb and welcome to the Forums.

As you moved out over 2 years ago, I can understand your confusion. As D_M_E asks, did you let us know at the time? If you did, we'll have closed the account in your name and opened a new one for the person taking over. As the original account was in your name, you'll only have been liable up to the time this account was closed.

If you didn't let us know, the account in your name will have carried on beyond the time you left the property. Also, if we didn't have a forwarding address, correspondence and bills will have gone to the property.

As the account is now with a Debt Collector, there's little our advisors can do at this stage. Whilst I agree with both D_M_E and Skools_Out about asking for copy bills, in your situation, I would go further and ask for a Customer Rights request to be raised. We'll send you copies of the data on your account, including the bills, as well as any phone call transcripts we hold. There's no charge for this service and we need to be back in touch within 30 days of the request being raised.

Although our advisors won't be able to deal with the debt, sorting the information so you can make an informed judgement is something they can help with.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction Jamieb.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure