Divorce House Equity

Options
PhoenixFlames
PhoenixFlames Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Got some odd messages from people that obviously know me :( thanks for the advice all. Deleting this.

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long were you married for? Do you have any children together under the age of 18?
  • PhoenixFlames
    edited 24 May 2019 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Got some odd messages from people that obviously know me :( thanks for the advice all. Deleting this.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is nothing obviously wrong with your thinking.

Sorting this out between yourselves is the best option. This might require you to consider compromising, and also being accuate about savings, pensions and the real value of second-hand appliances and cars. Mediation can help if you think he is asking for too much, but you might get the same view if you post some details here on MSE.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The starting point will be 50/50 and given the circumstances won't deviate far from this. You say the savings and pensions are roughly equal so they can likely be ignored. The value of everything else (including the value of the house your daughter lives in, assuming it's in your name) will be split.

You can of course come to your own agreement but you need to be aware you can't just disregard the value of your second house.
  • PhoenixFlames
    edited 24 May 2019 at 10:18PM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure