IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help, please

Options
Hoping someone can advise - I have received a letter from a debt collection agency for a parking fine, which I tried to pay for using an app for the service, kept getting an error message so phoned them and they said they would sort over the phone.

Firstly, on speaking to the sender of the letter they say I had 3 letters before this hence being passed to a debt collection agency - but this is the first letter I have received. My credit rating has dropped suddenly and I wasn't sure why, could this be the cause?

I stupidly didn't follow up when I didn't get an email confirmation, I am able to appeal but am worried about the effect this will have on my score if it drags on as an unpaid debt. However I am very cross and unwilling to pay up as it's £170! When I believed it was all sorted. I know if I pay I then will have no chance of appealing though...any advice?

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    please post this on the parking ticket forum , which is a subforum of motoring , further down the page

before posting , look there is a stickie thread called **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

read it first , it will answer 90% of your questions https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822
  • Streaky_Bacon
    Options
    This needs to be moved to "Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking". Click "Report" and ask for it to be moved.

The only way that this can effect your credit rating is if it goes to court, you lose and then don't pay what the court orders.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fishun wrote: »
    Hoping someone can advise - I have received a letter from a debt collection agency for a parking fine, which I tried to pay for using an app for the service, kept getting an error message so phoned them and they said they would sort over the phone.

Firstly, on speaking to the sender of the letter they say I had 3 letters before this hence being passed to a debt collection agency - but this is the first letter I have received. My credit rating has dropped suddenly and I wasn't sure why, could this be the cause?

I stupidly didn't follow up when I didn't get an email confirmation, I am able to appeal but am worried about the effect this will have on my score if it drags on as an unpaid debt. However I am very cross and unwilling to pay up as it's £170! When I believed it was all sorted. I know if I pay I then will have no chance of appealing though...any advice?

Your score/rating dropping is irrelevant.

Are there any new accounts added to your file or any CCJ's or Judgements?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This needs to be moved to "Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking". Click "Report" and ask for it to be moved.

The only way that this can effect your credit rating is if it goes to court, you lose and then don't pay what the court orders.

Done for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Firstly, on speaking to the sender of the letter
    STOP ringing debt collectors. Never ring them again and put the phone down if they bother you.
    ...they say I had 3 letters before this hence being passed to a debt collection agency - but this is the first letter I have received. My credit rating has dropped suddenly and I wasn't sure why, could this be the cause?
    No, getting silly debt letters about a parking scam fine is not capable of affecting your credit rating.

Please tell us which parking firm and what sort of car park & have you tried complaining to the landowner/retailer, or isn't there one?

Have you changed address since you got this car, and is there any chance you didn't update the V5C to your new address for the car's registration (I do NOT mean your driving licence address).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure