Opodo and Jet Airways

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a refund out of Opodo for some flights booked with Jet?

I contacted Opodo a couple of weeks ago and was told to wait until the flights were cancelled by Jet so that it wasn't me doing it and then to call and they actually told me what my refund amount would be.

Subsequently they have started to play hard ball and said that they haven't heard from Jet and therefore cannot do anything.

Jet customer services have said in an email "We understand that your ticket has been issued through a Travel Agent hence please be assured that we have already relayed a message to the Travel Agent system, authorising a full refund for the unused tickets, affected due to this disruption. You may contact the Travel Agent in order to complete execution of the refund."

Halifax Card Services are also on the case - should I focus my efforts on that route?

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Juno_62 wrote: »
    "We understand that your ticket has been issued through a Travel Agent hence please be assured that we have already relayed a message to the Travel Agent system, authorising a full refund for the unused tickets, affected due to this disruption. You may contact the Travel Agent in order to complete execution of the refund."

You need to push Opodo to claim the refund from Jet.
    currently Jet have your money and are happy to pay it back to Opodo.
    Opodo will not refund you until they receive the funds back from Jet.
    Adding a middleman between you and the airline will always add additional complexity and time in cases like this.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would go the credit card route: Halifax should be able to do a 'chargeback' and take the money from Opodo, since you paid for a service that was not provided.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Juno_62 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a refund out of Opodo for some flights booked with Jet?

I contacted Opodo a couple of weeks ago and was told to wait until the flights were cancelled by Jet so that it wasn't me doing it and then to call and they actually told me what my refund amount would be.

Subsequently they have started to play hard ball and said that they haven't heard from Jet and therefore cannot do anything.

Jet customer services have said in an email "We understand that your ticket has been issued through a Travel Agent hence please be assured that we have already relayed a message to the Travel Agent system, authorising a full refund for the unused tickets, affected due to this disruption. You may contact the Travel Agent in order to complete execution of the refund."

Halifax Card Services are also on the case - should I focus my efforts on that route?

That’s all well and good Jet Airways saying that but as Caz3121 says Opodo are only going to process a refund when (if) they receive it from the airline.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I would go the credit card route: Halifax should be able to do a 'chargeback' and take the money from Opodo, since you paid for a service that was not provided.

Not necessarily. At least for section 75 claims, the insertion of a 3rd party might break the link between the retailer and the consumer in which case there's no protection. Of course, Opodo is one of the most complained about 3rd party sites out there so I'm not surprised the OP is having trouble with them.
  • gam3r
    gam3r Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any luck with this? I am in the same boat, I had flights booked with Jet through Opodo. They initiated the refund for the full amount but this was back in April and i have not got anything yet..
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Options
    If they have not been able to get the refund from Jet then they won't be able to refund you. Have you confirmed that Jet issued to the refund to them? Probably best to speak to your credit card company
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any refunds may not be coming from Jet Airways but from money held by IATA BSP ( billing and settlement plan).

I'm waiting myself and can see my refund department from were I sit.

You will need to be patient, if the agency has applied for the refund then there is nothing more they can do to speed things up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure