Item selling for more than expected -worried about how to post.

Options
I listed an item on auction for £5 expecting to go up to about £12 (looking at other completed auctions).

At the moment it has reached £25 and could go up more.
I was going to send it normal RM 2nd class and hoped to get covered by POP in case it got lost.

What would be the best way to post as it could be £25 or more. Is signed for a good idea or waste of £1 or so?

Comments

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    kalsha wrote: »
    I listed an item on auction for £5 expecting to go up to about £12 (looking at other completed auctions).

At the moment it has reached £25 and could go up more.
    I was going to send it normal RM 2nd class and hoped to get covered by POP in case it got lost.

What would be the best way to post as it could be £25 or more. Is signed for a good idea or waste of £1 or so?

I'd spend the extra £1. Either RM "Signed for" (covered for up to £50) or courier (with the required insurance).

I stopped using RM as my first choice when I discovered that they don't always get a signature on delivery. Having said that, RM are getting better at this as recently there have been very few that did not have a signature upon delivery.

The problems only start when there isn't a signature and the recipient claims not to have received it.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd spend the extra £1. Either RM "Signed for" (covered for up to £50) or courier (with the required insurance).

I would not be changing the carrier. If you have stipulated Royal Mail, then use Royal Mail. Yes, upgrade the service as it's there to cover you not the buyer. But don't change the service provider, certainly without asking the buyer first (but really that can cause all sorts of delays)....
    I stopped using RM as my first choice when I discovered that they don't always get a signature on delivery. Having said that, RM are getting better at this as recently there have been very few that did not have a signature upon delivery.

The problems only start when there isn't a signature and the recipient claims not to have received it.

You don't need a signature, you only need a proof of delivery and if you use Click & Drop you will get that free of charge - assuming it's a parcel and not a letter size.

You can decide you need additional insurance, in which case you could look at Royal Mail Tracked (on click and drop - it should appear) or Signed For, or Special Delivery but do not pay for a signature for something under £750 as it isn't needed.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Yes I will stick to RM as it is easier for me and get the signed for postage.
    Since it is not mentioned in my listing, should I inform the buyer that it will be signed for so someone needs to be around to receive the parcel?
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Yes I will stick to RM as it is easier for me and get the signed for postage.
    Since it is not mentioned in my listing, should I inform the buyer that it will be signed for so someone needs to be around to receive the parcel?

Are you able to change the postage method on the listing - I don't do auctions so am not sure of what changes you can make and when....if you can change the method now.
  • kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, I can't change that once there are bids on it.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Have you got a C&D account or can you open one, you can then see if you've got RMT on your account, that will give you insurance to £50 without the need for a signature *thus keeping the service the same in effect.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whenever I list something on Ebay I always put a little comment in the listing saying should the item sell for more than £20 it will be sent signed for at no additional cost to the buyer.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    I would take into account what feedback the buyer has before deciding on postage, a goodly amount and 100% positive I don't think I would change the postage, poor feedback and high bidding would ring some alarm bells for me though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Since you are going to be making more than you thought which is great I would definitely pay the extra £1 for the signed for with Royal Mail.

This happened to me a few weeks back and I just informed the winning bidder because it had sold for more than expected I would be upgrading the postage from second class normal to signed for at no extra cost to him so a signature would be required.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    Since you are going to be making more than you thought which is great I would definitely pay the extra £1 for the signed for with Royal Mail.

This happened to me a few weeks back and I just informed the winning bidder because it had sold for more than expected I would be upgrading the postage from second class normal to signed for at no extra cost to him so a signature would be required.

I would probably ask you to cancel then as I live a good 20 mile round trip from my delivery office and certainly wouldn't be home to take a delivery - I don't have near neighbours either so it couldn't be left. Hopefully the buyer will be agreeable if the OP does this. The best option would be RMT as no signature is needed and compensation value is higher than standard first/second class.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure