PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House selling - gas and electrical safety certificate requested

Options
2»

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    who knows what else the buyer will want you to pay for? New carpet? blinds? Bogroll?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    You tell the agent to keep the for sale sign up and to keep taking other offers.
    The house is FOR SALE, like anything else for sale and stays for sale until they pay for it.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with most, saying consider remarketing and let them pay if they want the survey done.

However, under the circumstances, it isn't that unreasonable a request, as the previous owner is sadly deceased. Therefore, there's nobody to casually ask condition and the like.

Problem is, as you are aware, any such survey WILL throw issues up, and a ftb may well over worry over the issues.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    I agree with most, saying consider remarketing and let them pay if they want the survey done.

However, under the circumstances, it isn't that unreasonable a request, as the previous owner is sadly deceased. Therefore, there's nobody to casually ask condition and the like.

This is where you offer another viewing. Buyers are welcome to check things work, fire up the heating, turn lights on and off, go around wall sockets with a hairdryer and check they all work.

What happens in the likely scenario where you pay £200 for these meaningless extra checks and the buyers still change their minds last minute. You're not only down on time and other money, you'll be down another £200 too.

They can arrange their own, though I'd be looking to get a communication to them that this is not a new build property, sold as seen, end of.
  • ajm410
    ajm410 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - thanks very much for all your advice.

To update you as promised... I went back to my estate agent and said "no"; however, I offered them access to get their own certificates done - but said I would not budge on price either way. I also told my estate agent to inform them that I would be putting the property back on the market immediately.

Lo and behold the buyer has now said they still want to proceed, will get their own certificates done, and has promised to instruct their solicitor this morning. I called my estate agent, who said it appears they finally get the message.

Fingers crossed this actually moves quickly now.

Thanks very much once again!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 March 2018 at 1:23PM
    Options
    It is not the seller's responsibility to provide anything other than an EPC unless they are in Scotland. This was tried in England several years ago and did not take off. If buyers want these surveys/checks done, it is for them to arrange and pay for.

BTW, I have reported your post as advertising.
  • tonytee
    tonytee Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2018 at 11:18AM
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    For the sake of a few hundred pounds why would you hold up the sale or purchase of the property

Exactly this.

Personally, I have bought and sold a property on more than 20 occasions now and I would always get a gas and electrical check done.

There's a company I use. They do both checks in one go for buyers and sellers. They work for estate agents as well.

Here's what's covered:
    • full boiler safety check including the inside of the boiler
    • full flue gas analysis and readings
    • a check of heating controls for function and reliability
    • a check of the hot water cylinder for function and reliability
    • a full electrical installation condition report
    • a check for any broken sockets
    • a full check of the wiring
    • a full check of the fuse board
    • advice on all the above in regards to safety, condition and future reliability

Also if you click the link below it is £175 for both checks, not £200 -

https://www.gassafetycertificate.info/home-buyers-survey-house-survey-buying-house-gas-boiler-electrical-safety-checking-certificates/

I hope this helps someone!

Tony.
    • Smodlet
      Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
      Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
      Options
      Yet your post has been removed...
    This discussion has been closed.
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing