Courtesy car / hire car

Options
I was involved in an accident recently which was the fault of the other driver involved. I have been offered a courtesy car ( as my policy states) by the garage doing the repairs. However during the time my car is being fixed i have a four-day break in Manchester booked. The courtesy car si a basic Ford Ka (1 litre, no cd, no aircon). I only have a Corsa but it has every creature comfort and is a little more roomy than the Ka. What I want to know is can I hire a car which is more like for like with my own? My insurance company say that until the third party involved admits liabilty if I hired a car i'd have to pay for it myself. Any ideas what else I can try?

Comments

• maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - look at websites for helphire and driveassist who arrange car hire in these circumstances.They get the money direct from the other insurance company and you shouldn't have to pay anything.

If the other insurance company admit liability then ask them to arrange for you to have a corsa for the 4 days involved.

Best of luck
  • skintscotsman
    skintscotsman Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I worked for a car rental company for a while and we often dealt with insurance courtesy cars.

If you were not at fault, the at-fault insurance company MUST supply you with a car equivalent to the one you normally dirve.

For example, if you drive a 1.8 estate, they should give you something equivalent.

You must jutify why you need, say, a 1.3 Corsa with 5 doors

for example:

motorway driving
    child seats
    hobbies (golf clubs in boot etc (seriously!))
    disability

Hope this helps. PM me if you need any further info.
    A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure