Taking photocopies of ESA50 form to assessment? Advice?

Options
Hi everyone. I'm sure many of you (Helpful and wonderful people) saw my last post about my ESA assessment. I've been in the support group now for a year and was recently asked to fill out another ESA work capability questionnaire and go for an assessment. I've never attended one before as I was just automatically placed in the support group last year.

Anyway, I got some questions to try and ease my anxiety-

I was VERY late sending my ESA50 form back. I've only just sent it off and my assessment is tomorrow. I know for this reason the assessor won't have a copy of it. My Dad photocopied my filled out ESA50 form before he posted it for me so that we had a copy of it to take in to the assessment to give to the assessor so that they can't turn around and claim they have nothing to go by. - Will I be allowed to do this? Will the assessor WANT to see copies of my ESA50 form?

Along with this, I'm also wondering with the assessor know that I am currently in the support group for ESA or won't he/she know anything about my benefit entitlement already? I don't know whether to mention in my notes (I've got to take notes with my due to my anxiety and memory loss) that I already get support group rate ESA.

Another quick question. On my previous post someone answered and said assessors look to see if the claimant is 'lying' in any way such as by looking for lack of eye contact. I'm terrified about this because I NEVER make eye contact with strangers. At my recent PIP assessment (Awarded enhanced rate) I couldn't make eye contact at all with the assessors and I sat with my head down and a hooded top covering my face slightly. I do this as a coping mechanism,. Will this trigger them to think I'm a liar??

Thank you.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mw1805 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm sure many of you (Helpful and wonderful people) saw my last post about my ESA assessment. I've been in the support group now for a year and was recently asked to fill out another ESA work capability questionnaire and go for an assessment. I've never attended one before as I was just automatically placed in the support group last year.

Anyway, I got some questions to try and ease my anxiety-

I was VERY late sending my ESA50 form back. I've only just sent it off and my assessment is tomorrow. I know for this reason the assessor won't have a copy of it. My Dad photocopied my filled out ESA50 form before he posted it for me so that we had a copy of it to take in to the assessment to give to the assessor so that they can't turn around and claim they have nothing to go by. - Will I be allowed to do this? Will the assessor WANT to see copies of my ESA50 form?

Along with this, I'm also wondering with the assessor know that I am currently in the support group for ESA or won't he/she know anything about my benefit entitlement already? I don't know whether to mention in my notes (I've got to take notes with my due to my anxiety and memory loss) that I already get support group rate ESA.

Another quick question. On my previous post someone answered and said assessors look to see if the claimant is 'lying' in any way such as by looking for lack of eye contact. I'm terrified about this because I NEVER make eye contact with strangers. At my recent PIP assessment (Awarded enhanced rate) I couldn't make eye contact at all with the assessors and I sat with my head down and a hooded top covering my face slightly. I do this as a coping mechanism,. Will this trigger them to think I'm a liar??

Thank you.
    You can take a copy of the ESA50 form, whether they accept if from you is a different matter.

As for knowing whether or not you're in the support group then i'm sure they do, others will confirm that i'm sure.

Not making eye contact will not make them think you're a liar. Some people are unable to make eye contact, especially those with autism.

Just attend the assessment and answer those questions with as much detail as possible. Any evidence you have then you should also hand that in, if they accept it. I do know that sometimes HCPs will refuse to accept anything on the day.

Good luck.
  • mw1805
    mw1805 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your response, I so appreciate it.

I can't stop panicking because I know my own abilities and everyone keeps telling me to answer the HCP in detail but I know I can't do that. I freeze up and go into panic attacks when talking to strangers. It's one of the main reasons I am currently out of work. I really don't know how to go about this :-(
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mw1805 wrote: »
    Thank you for your response, I so appreciate it.

I can't stop panicking because I know my own abilities and everyone keeps telling me to answer the HCP in detail but I know I can't do that. I freeze up and go into panic attacks when talking to strangers. It's one of the main reasons I am currently out of work. I really don't know how to go about this :-(
    Can you take someone with you to the assessment? They won't be able to answer the questions unless they're your appointee but they will be able to prompt you. The HCP will be trying to get a picture of how your conditions affect you, so answering with just a yes or no won't allow them to get the information.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/esa-medical-assessment/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure